what torque converter for a 231 cid v-6 buick

Started by 48bill, November 16, 2010, 02:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48bill

What stall speed torque converter should I use for a 231 cid buick, 350 turbo tranny in a modified style 26 Ford roadster.  

The car probably won't weigh in at 2000 pounds.  Original weight of the vehicle is 3400+ pounds.  

The motor is stock.  Should I use a stock converter or something with a lower stall speed?
48bill
Bill C from Connecticut
48 Chevrolet Cabriolet

Digger

I think a stock converter would work just fine. Do they even make a converter with less than stock stall speed? :?
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

Crosley.In.AZ

Yes converters are built with less than OEM stall speed.

As vehicle weight goes down, stall speed rating must go up.  This will reduce the heavy foot needed on the brakes to hold the vehicle at a full stop
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

as for what stall speed to use..  that is decided by rear end ratio...  cam size.. carb size.. car weight..  if you engine won't idle at 500 - 600 Rpms.. and has a  big lumpy cam.. the higher the stall speed...

here is a torque converter catalog..    the converters you are looking for are on pages 117 and 118..   be sure to have acrobat plug in installed in your computer...

it uses conventional industry numbers. that some converter shops use...

http://www.tcsproducts.com/file_library/downloads/5_Converter_Cat.pdf

you are probably going to end up with a P4a a P6 or P8 if you go with a stock converter...     the P8 has metric threads...  check your flywheel.. 3/8 or 10MM   10MM is slightly bigger...

and these are for a conventional TH350... not a th350C  lock up unit..  behind a buick V6.. that use a bolt instead of a nut and bolt..

48bill

Quote from: "wayne petty"as for what stall speed to use..  that is decided by rear end ratio...  cam size.. carb size.. car weight..  if you engine won't idle at 500 - 600 Rpms.. and has a  big lumpy cam.. the higher the stall speed...

here is a torque converter catalog..    the converters you are looking for are on pages 117 and 118..   be sure to have acrobat plug in installed in your computer...

it uses conventional industry numbers. that some converter shops use...

http://www.tcsproducts.com/file_library/downloads/5_Converter_Cat.pdf

you are probably going to end up with a P4a a P6 or P8 if you go with a stock converter...     the P8 has metric threads...  check your flywheel.. 3/8 or 10MM   10MM is slightly bigger...

and these are for a conventional TH350... not a th350C  lock up unit..  behind a buick V6.. that use a bolt instead of a nut and bolt..

Wayne,

How would I know if the tranny is a 350C?

Thanks,

Bill
48bill
Bill C from Connecticut
48 Chevrolet Cabriolet

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "48bill"
Wayne,

How would I know if the tranny is a 350C?

Thanks,

Bill

i am not wayne, but

a t-350c has an electrical connection on drivers side of trans, above the shift linkage and slightly back of the linkage.

the input shaft will have a smooth polished tip with an O-ring on the end.

A non lock  up  t-350 will just have splines on the end of the input shaft.... No electrical connector near the shift shaft

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

take a look at digital page 7 or printed page 66...

http://cvcconverters.com/catalog_pdfs/2009_60to90.pdf

the 350 non lock up converters are curved on the forward face..

the 350C and 350C lock up converters have a flat face around the outside where the TCC clutch facing is...

the lock up transmissions also usually have a big C as i recall..  but i could be and usually am totally wrong...

the nice thing about this converter catalog.. it has the front wheel drive torque converter broadcast numbers and the stall speeds...  for mixing and matching.. for performance improvements in the never done here  its good info to have...  just in case...

oh wait... this one has the converter stall info for both front and rear wheel drive newer  applications...

http://www.gmtuners.com/gmtransinfo.htm