Big Block Chevy head bolts

Started by enjenjo, October 21, 2010, 10:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

As I recall, there are three lengths of head bolts on a big block. Short ones on the bottom, long ones in the three center top bolt holes, and a middle length on the top end bolts. Is that correct? What is the length of the middle length top bolts?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "enjenjo"As I recall, there are three lengths of head bolts on a big block. Short ones on the bottom, long ones in the three center top bolt holes, and a middle length on the top end bolts. Is that correct? What is the length of the middle length top bolts?

According to my books from GM, different heads required different head bolts.  

However, "Engines equipped with production cast iron and aluminum heads use (24)  7/16"-14 x 4.06" bolts and (8) 7/16"-14 x 2.08" bolts."

That's 16 bolts per head or 32 bolts per pair.

Two versions of Bowtie heads require alternate fastener sizes.  ...One of them uses (4) 7/16"-14 x 5.25" bolts (per head) in the holes adjacent to the raised exhaust ports.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"However, "Engines equipped with production cast iron and aluminum heads use (24)  7/16"-14 x 4.06" bolts and (8) 7/16"-14 x 2.08" bolts."

I don't know how that smiley got in there.  ....It is supposed to read:

( 8 ) 7/16"-14 x 2.08" bolts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

I have a head here that has three different bolt boss lengths. It may be from a Mk IV engine. I only have short bolts and long bolts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ACEMAN419

mine are the same frank, the problem is mine are in toledo and im in mich... call jerry sat. mornin and ask him im sure he knows   ace