383 Stroker kit

Started by phat46, October 16, 2010, 07:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooley

I ran a 350 2 bolt block with a 400 cast crank with 5.7 rods and hyperutica pistons for a 383. There was 2X4 on a tunnel ram on old double hump iron heads.  I had it in a 56 Chevy wagon that was drag raced many times over 3 or 4 years with out every an issue other than a blown head gasket at about 2 years. The wagon ran consetent 11.80s to 12.00.
Only ran it to 6,300 6,600 RPM's.  I heard it is still running up around Colorado Springs.

I didn't brake the bank and had a lot of fun with it.

Just what I think

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

kb426

My thoughts in general: I like strokers. If you go back to the 60's when there wasn't so many choices, a stroker crank was a great option. How many of you read an article in Hot Rod about the "bored and stroked" engine and thought, I got to get me one of them. The aftermarket cranks make this easy and durable. Because I have first hand knowledge about the 302 Ford setups, I can say, it's one of the better improvements you can make. As has been mentioned before, starting with good parts is the most important part. He didn't ask what made the most hp. He just asked for knowledge about 383 setups. Increased stroke causes more low end torque which is almost always good.
TEAM SMART