Garage floor paint

Started by 48builder, August 06, 2010, 06:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I ended up buying a kit from Durall. Their Dura Seal 400 product is what they recommended. I used their degreaser and etcher, scrubbing with a floor buffer and pads I got from them. I chose the deep red color. After I painted it the floor was still sticky after a week or so. I called and they suggested that perhaps I did not stir it well enough. As usual I was in a hurry and that is possible, so I bought another kit and gave it another coat. They guy said that should fiz it. So I stirred it twice as long as they recommend and gave it another coat. I still have sticky spots so I called them again. The guy I talked to this time told me I should have sanded down the sticky spots before giving it the third coat. I told him the other guy didn't tell me that, so they are sending me another kit for free. I'll get the floor buffer again and sand with a 80-grit screen and give it a fourth coat. It looks great. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Next up is a heater. I figured out how to run a gas line to the garage and I think I am going to get a 30,000 but Mr. Heater wall-monted unit with built-in blower. Should do the trick better than my 23,000 btu kerosene heater. I'm adding more insulation as well. Now I'll have no excuse for not finishing this car.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Inprimer

My garage was epoxied with standard Home depot stuff.( I think made by Rustoleum) It's been on for 4yrs, easy cleanup, I solved the constant cleaning on the floor , usually a very drippy street rod with a huge piece of cardboard, my friend has a MATCO route and gives me the cardboard that wraps a tool box, The stuff is super thick and hard enough to run a floor jack on it , also tough enough to put jack stands without piercing thru, When the cadbrd is too oily or soiled, time to put down new stuff. As I said I don't beat the floor or baby it, it worked for me.

_Drewfus_

Been thinking about this topic for a while, and keep asking myself, "is it worth the effort?", don't get me wrong, asthetically a garage with a painted floor looks great, neat and tidy, but, does it really make any effective difference to either reducing dust buildup or cleaning up stains/mess?

Am I over-thinking this topic, but short of asthetics, are there any benifits?

Cheers,

Drewfus
\"Dear God,
help me be the MAN that my dog thinks I am.......\"

river1

Quote from: "_Drewfus_"Been thinking about this topic for a while, and keep asking myself, "is it worth the effort?", don't get me wrong, asthetically a garage with a painted floor looks great, neat and tidy, but, does it really make any effective difference to either reducing dust buildup or cleaning up stains/mess?

Am I over-thinking this topic, but short of asthetics, are there any benifits?

Cheers,

Drewfus

after having my painted floor for 16 years i won't have a future shop with out it. it cleans up so easy it's easy to keep clean, if that makes sense. it also makes it easy to slide under a vehicle, since i don't like using a creeper. the added light reflection helps when under there as well.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Uncle Bob

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

48builder

Quote from: "Uncle Bob"What Jim said X2.

I absolutely love my deep red floor. Once I get it cured properly it will be even better.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver