Removing Oxygen sensor?

Started by Bruce Dorsi, September 29, 2010, 07:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Dorsi

I've been fighting with a stubborn O2 sensor for a few hours with no success in removing it from its bung.

Tried penetrants, shocking with an air chisel, and lots of leverage on a wrench, but no luck.

There's no visible rust on the pipe, bung, or sensor. .....The bung is in a pipe that I really do not want to remove.

Any suggestions on how to remove it?  .....Would heat from a torch help?

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

You have a stainless pipe, and a stainless sensor. If no antiseize was used to install it, it's probably galled into the bung. I usually weld a new bung next to the old one, and install the new sensor there. Most muffler shops stock the bungs.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

i am taking that you have good access to it...

have you tried tightening it ??????  just enough to budge it??? that will sometimes break it loose...

if not...   heat the bung... and the area of pipe around the bung so the bung expands....   do this quick and it might expand the bung before the sensor expands...

there is also a NEW tool.... that is a box end stubby oxygen sensor wrench... but it has a air chisel shank on the of the wrench...
i think this is made by LISLE..  43900
Pneumatic Oxygen Sensor Remover

http://autodax.com/catalog/pimages.php?prdid=465

so you can use the air chisel to impact some repeated torque into loosening the sensor from its place of residence...

one more thing.. its 18 mm .. same as big ford spark plugs... so your double ended  spark plug rethreading tool can be used to clean the threads out...

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/grn/27162/image/4/
this is available at many stores... has a bent lever like a spark plug ratchet
OEM/1 pc. oxygen sensor socket/ wrench
Part Number: 27162
Price:$25.00

many stores have loan a tool assortments with a multi oxygen socket  set for rent.. pay for it.. bring it back... get a refund...   they are kept behind the counter...  there is a desk chart...
for those that are hard to get at....
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/grn/27189/image/4/

zzebby

Years ago I worked with an old Russian toolmaker and he very quietly taught me to heat the inner steel part only and then quickly quench it with a lot of water.  Then wait an hour or so till all cooled off.
I had a 38 Ford 1 ton I beam and was trying to get the wishbone to axle bolts  out.  I had heated the wishbome and axle 3-4 times and beat on it while hot with no success.
He smacked it just once with a 2 pound hammer and the bolt clattered across the floor.  He didn't say a word to me, just put the tools away.

Bruce Dorsi

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

We've had two days of rain here, so I haven't gone further. (working outdoors)

I will try using the torch to free the sensor, but I think I'll end up having to install another bung close-by as Frank suggested.

I can probably make a new bung on the lathe in less time than I can drive around to locate one.

57larry

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "57larry"old cars don't have sensors

Some do, if they're equipped with EFI.

kb426

TEAM SMART

57larry

ok, old cars shouldn't have sensors, no efi, carbs only

Danimal

If you can't find one, PM me. I work in OE exhaust and probably have one in my desk drawer. $0.50 postage will get it to you!

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Danimal"If you can't find one, PM me. I work in OE exhaust and probably have one in my desk drawer. $0.50 postage will get it to you!

Thanks, but I was able to obtain one from my local autoparts store.