wiring problem.

Started by chimp koose, October 02, 2010, 11:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

OK so the new to me silverado I bought has issues. I specifically asked the previous owner if all the lights worked and was assured they did,such is not the case. The marker lights and dash lights dont work. I was at the wrecker today getting a steering column for our recovered truck and got a light switch for the one I just bought . It didnt help so I decided to start from square one ,check the fuse,... Bingo ,blown fuse. Replaced and all is well ,until half way down the block,dash lights and markers out again and a blown fuse. I know enough not to just keep ramming in fuses but what might be the best ,most likely places to find the issue. I will check all the bulbs in the morning but what next? I am in no way an expert at wiring, I probably know more than I think but I am not one of those who can see wiring in my minds eye.Suggestions?

wayne petty

do you have a wiring diagram????/  how about a model year... and exact model..

could be a pinched wire anywhere on the truck.....   usually the  tail light and parking light wires are brown... ...

i had a s10 come in the shop...  it would blow fuses all the time...  until the owner got some knock off fuses... made of steel...  wires burned from the headlight switch to the front parking lights... when i finally got it straightened out...  somebody had replaced a fender..  they had pinched the harness  for the front side marker lights between the inner and outer fender.. in a place that was almost invisible to see... except i was trying to change that burned up section of wire...

i have also run into smashed wires under seats...    behind tail light assemblies..  behind fender extensions..   pinched where the tow bars were bolted to the frame.....

i have also ... found many times...  the wrong bulbs inserted into the sockets...   take the bulbs out.. count the terminals inside..    you might also have a later model that uses the 3156/ 3157... or what ever the newer numbers are....

chimp koose

Wayne thanks for the response. This is a 90 chev silverado. The other night I hit the dash on top and the lights came back on for a second or two.The odometer isn't working either so I will go to the wrecker and get a replacement guage panel. Maybe the short is in the printed circuit board?When I wiggled the dimmer side to side the lights came on and then went out, smacking the dash turned them on for a bit . Could it be the dimmer switch? That doesn't explain the marker lights though does it, unless they then went out with the fuse. You see how random I am with wiring!

Crosley.In.AZ

those years trucks in the USA had a push tab to operate the switch.  I worked on many of them replacing the switch.

I often  glue tabs on the back side of the dash when the operator pushed the switch too hard and broke the plastic... push the switch into the dash
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)