installing window rubber

Started by enjenjo, October 05, 2010, 07:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I am installing the rear windows on this Chevy truck. It has the rubber with a narrow lock strip. What do you use to slick this up so the lock strip goes in. At work we used WD40, but I am concerned about it attacking the paint.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"I am installing the rear windows on this Chevy truck. It has the rubber with a narrow lock strip. What do you use to slick this up so the lock strip goes in. At work we used WD40, but I am concerned about it attacking the paint.

All the glass I ever installed was with "GO-JO" hand cleaner --( The white "non-abrasive" kind) ...You can try Dawn dishwashing detergent but dilute it with water first ..Full strength it may "discolor" paint ...

Do you have an insert installing tool ???  ( Looks like a screwdriver with a "loop" on the end ...)   The outer side of the loop spreads the weatherstrip ...The locking bead goes through the center of the loop & gets inserted in the window rubber ......
See photo ...

http://www.classicparts.com/images/01-405.jpg

AT LAST     :!:  :!:  

Something I can help with  :!:  :!:      :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Charlie Chops 1940

I use RuGlyde from NAPA. It's made here in Muskegon by American Grease Stick. Comes in gallon jugs. It's target is for tire mounting but it is a great rubber lube otherwise too. I'm on my 2nd gallon in 30 years or so.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Since I have some Ruglyde, I'll try that  first. I do have the tool bob.

Digger

I always use Ivory Liquid, a glass guy showed me that 30 or 40 year----uh never mind :roll:

Digger
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

Topsterguy

I use Sunlite liquid dish soap and water, and put it on with a small brush. Works great and cheap!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Danimal

When we did Court's, we used Dawn and a toothbrush along with your install tool! :lol:

348tripower

I am going to add a bit more info here. I was having a hell of a time installing flat glass in frames with the black glass setting tape. Seems nothing I did gave it enough lubrication to make it work. I even broke one piece. I talked to an guy who has been installing glass for years. He said the trick was motor oil. Now, this is messy, but very easy to install glsss. He noted that it gave the tape some what of a sticky base after it set for a time.
Don
Don Colliau

Charlie Chops 1940

Yes, motor oil with setting tape, but I would not use it on window rubber. It makes it swell up.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

UGLY OLDS

^^^^^   What he said ...Motor oil is used on setting tape with flat glass going into channels & frames ...It allows the glass to "slip" into the frame ...After about 4 hours the oil swells the cork in the setting tape tightening it & locking the glass securely in the frame . BE CAREFUL   :!:   IIRC there is 3 different thickness's of setting tape for different applications.... :?   Also the bottom of the channel also cannot be rusted too badly or "Weak"... Or when the setting tape expands it will break/bend the channel in half. :shock:    Don't ask me how I know this .... :oops:  Any motor oil or petroleum product put on natural rubber will make it "GROW".... :shock:

Wanna have some fun???  Take an old wheel cylinder cup & soak it in oil or kerosene  for a few days .....It gets ...Ahhhh......"Bigger" ..... 8)

Bob............ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

QuoteAlso the bottom of the channel also cannot be rusted too badly or "Weak"... Or when the setting tape expands it will break/bend the channel in half.  Don't ask me how I know this ....

You want to know how to easily fix this? You could replace the channel, but some of them are hard to find duplicate channels. So I use two or three pieces of glass tape an inch long or so to hold the channel centered on the glass, and use windshield urethane in between the glass tape. Once it sets up, the glass will not come out, and it reinforces the channel.  Just make sure it's positioned right before it sets up. :shock:  If you ever need to take it off, the glass will probably be broken anyway, but a bit of heat will release it.