30-31 model A Question

Started by 31suv, July 16, 2004, 09:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

31suv

The panel under the sun visor . How do I go about sealing it off from the elements and make it look good? I have new wood behind it,and it is a new panel. Also 2in chop,filled roof (78 volare s/w),all this was done from
info from this site

Thanks

East Texas,the right side of Texas

purplepickup

Cool site, eh?  Welcome and congratulations on coming out of lurkerland.

I don't have a ford but my 31 Chevy leaks a little under the visor in a hard rain too.  Being a cheap kind of guy, I just put a little clear caulk on it where it was leaking.  But then, my truck is overdue for a re-do so I find myself making temporary fixes.  Hopefully someone will answer your question and I'll learn something too.
George

DW

I talked to a guy with a 28 'A" that tack welded all the way along where the panels meet and then used seam sealer to seal over the welds and seam. It looked good to me and I am going to try this with my 28 'A'.

unklian

Wasn't that originally covered with a flat steel sheet ?

31suv

I new there had to be some Modle A folks out there.Thanks for the infoe.Actually on the 30-31 the original piece has like a rolled body line and the lower portion of it forms the frame for the windshield and the upper portion of it nails to the wood insert that is behind it, that's the way Henry did it.I'm gonna have to deveate from Henry's design. Looks like I will have to do like DW said and use some sort of seam seal, unless some one else comes up with a better idea

Thanks again

Larry@Graffiti

On my 30 pickup I replaced the whole header panel with an all steel one made up to be similar to a 29-29 one which is vertical. The 30-31 panel actually leans forward at the top. Then I welded the sunvisor to the header panel and then the new steel roof to the header panel as well. No leaks and no vibration from the sunshade even at speed. Using a vertical header panel like this also makes it easier to mount windscreen wipers in it where they are up under the sun visor out of sight.

DW

I looked a 30 'A' this weekend and thought I might be able to get a tip for you but the car was nailed at the top just like the original and had no sealing on it. I think the seam sealer will work good as long as the panel can be secured so that the nails don't loosen and allow the sealer to crack.