I need a little help............

Started by SKR8PN, July 22, 2004, 09:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKR8PN

Any one that knows me will attest to THAT...........BUT.... what I need,is 2 pieces of aluminum pipe,2.5 inches INSIDE diameter,.250 wall,about 1 foot long. I have to make a couple of exhaust clamps,that look nice, can be polished,and won't look like ANY exhaust clamps you have ever seen........I am not doing this because I want to,but out of necessity. I have to connect 2 pieces of 2.5 in pipe,with a small 1/2 inch gap in between,that can not be adjusted out. Did I mention the ENTIRE exhaust system has been Jet Hot coated already? That leaves out welding........and a regular piece of stainless,with a couple of stainless exhaust clamps would be UGLY.
Any one have any ideas on where to get this size pipe?  Everywhere I have found,has a minimum purchase requirement of either a 24 ft stick,or 275.00,whichever comes first!  HELP!!!
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

GPster

I am not sure but look at electrical conduit and see if there is anything there you can use. There is some aluminium conduit that is heavy wall (shedual 40?) that is classed as rigid conduit. This might not be a Lowes item but maybe an industrial electrical place might be able to help you and have some scrap pieces lying around. My information is kind of limited but maybe 25 years ago I made some 1" for flag poles. Of course since then they have started to use PVC. GPster

WZ JUNK

This spring I worked on a 39 Chevy coupe.  When the owner took it to the muffler shop he told them that he wanted the exhaust system made so that the transmission could be removed without cutting the exhaust.   Part of the system that they made is a stainless steel clamp much like you describe.  It wraps around each pipe and it must overlap as it wraps around.   I think it was 6 to 8 inches long.  It has 4 bolts on one side that pull it together.  It is a purchased piece and you might be able to buy one through an auto parts store or muffler shop.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

SKR8PN

Thanks GPster,I'll check that out.
WZ,  I have seen those clamps you are describing,and they will not seal enough. What I want to do,is take a piece of pipe,split it length wise,drill it and tap it so it LOOKS like a piece of plain pipe...........smooth,no seams showing,with only minimal bolt heads showing.

348tripower

McMaster Carr  has Aluminum Structural tube. Part# 9056k21 $26.41 for 12".$63.96 for 3' :lol:

quote="SKR8PN"]Any one that knows me will attest to THAT...........BUT.... what I need,is 2 pieces of aluminum pipe,2.5 inches INSIDE diameter,.250 wall,about 1 foot long. I have to make a couple of exhaust clamps,that look nice, can be polished,and won't look like ANY exhaust clamps you have ever seen........I am not doing this because I want to,but out of necessity. I have to connect 2 pieces of 2.5 in pipe,with a small 1/2 inch gap in between,that can not be adjusted out. Did I mention the ENTIRE exhaust system has been Jet Hot coated already? That leaves out welding........and a regular piece of stainless,with a couple of stainless exhaust clamps would be UGLY.
Any one have any ideas on where to get this size pipe?  Everywhere I have found,has a minimum purchase requirement of either a 24 ft stick,or 275.00,whichever comes first!  HELP!!![/quote]
Don Colliau

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Any one that knows me will attest to THAT...........BUT.... what I need,is 2 pieces of aluminum pipe,2.5 inches INSIDE diameter,.250 wall,about 1 foot long. I have to make a couple of exhaust clamps,that look nice, can be polished,and won't look like ANY exhaust clamps you have ever seen........I am not doing this because I want to,but out of necessity. I have to connect 2 pieces of 2.5 in pipe,with a small 1/2 inch gap in between,that can not be adjusted out. Did I mention the ENTIRE exhaust system has been Jet Hot coated already? That leaves out welding........and a regular piece of stainless,with a couple of stainless exhaust clamps would be UGLY.
Any one have any ideas on where to get this size pipe?  Everywhere I have found,has a minimum purchase requirement of either a 24 ft stick,or 275.00,whichever comes first!  HELP!!!

Any particular reason why it has to be pipe/tubing?

In a pinch, I have cut slugs to make shock pistons out of 1-1/2" thick aluminum plate with a hole saw - leaving a 2-1/8" hole behind. I'm sure you could leave a 2.5-inch hole behind if you set your mind top it....LOL!!!

I scour the scrapyards, and I paid a dollar-per-pound for my last load of aluminum tidbits. I recently found a five-foot stick of 2-1/4" aluminum bar which should keep me in shock pistons for a while. It was 21 pounds, but the guy said, "Give me 20 bucks...."

You might even find some aluminum pipe/tubing at the scrap yard if you're truly locked into using pipe/tubing.

For an aluminum ring, I would cut the o.d. first, then use the pilot hole to cut the i.d.....

....then, as L'il John Buttera says, "...cut away everything that doesn't look like an exhaust clamp...".

Bob Paulin
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

SKR8PN

Bob, I need tubing because I need to make this "clamp" approx 8 inches long to get enough support for the rest of the exhaust system,and to get it to seal without any leaks.
Good idea on using the hole saw though...........I'll have to file that!

SKR8PN

Quote from: "348tripower"McMaster Carr  has Aluminum Structural tube. Part# 9056k21 $26.41 for 12".$63.96 for 3' :lol:

THANKS VERY MUCH!!! Got it on order!

threefive

does any one in your area build aluminum boats? here on the coast they use all kinds of alum. pipe to reinforce the hulls and for electrical towers etc. most are friendly enough to let you browse their scrap bin.