smokey_yunick_1967_chevy_chevelle

Started by wayne petty, August 10, 2010, 11:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

some of you might really enjoy this..

http://www.circletrack.com/chassistech/ctrp_1010_smokey_yunick_1967_chevy_chevelle/index.html

seems there are more smokey articles in the right sidebar..

enjoy....

unklian

That story is in the latest issue.

phat rat

I saw that car in a museum in Sevierville Tn
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

I've read a bit on that Chevelle and the Camaro 1968 (?)  Smokey built.. Seems the cars are loaded with special little tricks.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tom36

If only half  the stuff  about Smokey is true, He would still be one helluva an engineer and innovator.  Tom...

slocrow

Wasn't there a deal about him angrily driving a race car home with the gas tank still in tech?  Talk about big hidden fuel lines.:roll:
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

jaybee

Yup, story says tech told him his car had 10 major violations and he wouldn't be allowed to race until they were all fixed.  "Ten" said Smokey as he climbed in, fired it up and drove off without a fuel tank.

In 1966 Smokey wasn't allowed to race because NASCAR claimed his car was actually a 7/8 scale model of a Chevelle.  For a guy who was caught cheating repeatedly he remained angry about this for a long time.  He insisted that the cars speed came from being carefully streamlined underneath in a way that stock cars just weren't at that time.  

Ironically that was the same year that the infamous Yellow Banana passed tech.  Modeled here http://www.fredlorenzen.com/banana.htm the car was clearly not a stock body and the big Ford contributed mightily to NASCAR's reputation for uneven application of rules.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

papastoyss

I saw the Chevelle in Mark Martin's former museum in Datonnya (sp)  . Ray Charles coulda told that car wasn't a stock body!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

unklian

His books are definitely good reading.

41woodie

Smokey is responsible for one of my all-time favorite quotes about racing: "It ain't what the rules say you can't do, it's about what the rules don't say you can't do" or something to that effect.