Advice for BBC motor for towing

Started by phat rat, July 12, 2010, 10:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

Quote from: "Crosley"Interestig cam suggestion on the engine.  Seems valid

The common oval ports should have plenty of volume and speed at 2k RPM and higher I would think.

I would think working the engine on a grade at 3k to 3800 RPM would work well

It should work fine. I've had the 8.1 at 4000-4500 on some grades.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "Crosley"Interestig cam suggestion on the engine.  Seems valid

The common oval ports should have plenty of volume and speed at 2k RPM and higher I would think.

I would think working the engine on a grade at 3k to 3800 RPM would work well

It should work fine. I've had the 8.1 at 4000-4500 on some grades.

wow... 4500 on a long grade.

The small block LS engines like to RPM , not sure I would buzz one to 4500 on a hill  for any length of time
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

Wasn't a long time. As long as the temps stay ok it won't hurt it, Before we got so used to OD the normal cruising rpm was 3000 at 70mph. If you changed to a better gear for racing you were higher yet
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

The new Car Craft has an article on a budget build 454, using Peanut heads. They manage to get over 440 Hp out of it, and over 500 ft. lbs of torque. Worth a read
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

Humm, 440 hp?

I just read an article with 440 hp mentioned, it was all about the new 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302. 440 hp from a 302?

QuoteThe 2011 Ford Mustang GT's 5.0-liter V-8 engine carries into the Mustang Boss with only breathing changes and more aggressive engine controls. Altogether, the engine makes 440 horsepower (versus the standard GT's 412 hp) and 380 pound-feet of torque.

Geese, I can't hardly comprehend this hp rating.

Sure wish I had money for a new Mustang.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/08/13/boss-mustang-boss/

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: CarnutHumm, 440 hp?

I just read an article with 440 hp mentioned, it was all about the new 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302. 440 hp from a 302?

QuoteThe 2011 Ford Mustang GT's 5.0-liter V-8 engine carries into the Mustang Boss with only breathing changes and more aggressive engine controls. Altogether, the engine makes 440 horsepower (versus the standard GT's 412 hp) and 380 pound-feet of torque.

Geese, I can't hardly comprehend this hp rating.

QuoteSure wish I had money for a new Mustang.

What   :?:   You want to buy your insurance guy ANOTHER Beemer   :?:     :shock:

The neat thing about the Car Craft build is that the peak horse power comes in below 5000 RPM & it produces over 500lb-ft of torque at a VERY useable 2400 RPM ..It does not have to "scream" to work....   8)

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****