700 r4 Lock up wire??

Started by BFS57, August 16, 2010, 03:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
I need a refresher course. had the chevy at a garage to have a rear main seal put in, in the meanwile, the owner said that when they returned on Monday, there was a leaking trans issue.
I have the lock up hooked to a switch inside the car. I know the wire is easy to come out of the trans. on the way home, I tried to lock up the converter and it didn't happen! My guess, the wire is not connected.
As my mind isn't as clear as it used to be I need to remember which one of the 4 places the wire plugs into on the side of the trans, so when I get a chance to get under, I will know where to plug the wire in.
Any one have a helping information??

Bruce

enjenjo

12 volts to "A" and ground to "D" should provide lock up on most late 700's .
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

as the trasn sits in the vehicle... the front - outer hole of the 4 pin holes  is for 12 volts.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

BFS57

Hello;
Thanks for the info. I will get it up on a jack today and make sure my wire is connected where it belongs.

Bruce

BFS57

Hello;
After work today, I was able to jack up the car, slide under and guess what! The wire was in the wrong place. I disconnected it and attatched it in the front outer hole and the rest was history!
Thanks for the refresher course!

Bruce

34ford

I have to ask which one is the D or the ground. Want to make sure mine is hooked up right. I do not have a ground hooked up to mine but do have a 12v where the tranny guy told me to.

thanks
bc

BFS57

Hello;
I just have my switch grounded and the hot side going to the first outside connection. I had work done on my car (leaking) and when they replaced the seal on the shift lever, they hooked it up wrong and this was a performance Shop! That one specialty is transmissions!

Bruce

34ford

Right now I just have a hot on a switch going to the front outside hole. Don't know if it will ground itself in the tranny or not?
bc

34ford

Right now I just have a hot on a switch going to the front outside hole. Don't know if it will ground itself in the tranny or not?
bc

anybody have an answer on this?  Crosley?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "34ford"Right now I just have a hot on a switch going to the front outside hole. Don't know if it will ground itself in the tranny or not?
bc

anybody have an answer on this?  Crosley?

Completely dependent on the wire harness inside the trans, year of trans would help.

A ground wire would be suggested in the "D" pin hole on the connector.  "D" location is directly behind the "A" location ..........  provided in other post.
Tony

34ford

tranny is out of a 86 camaro 700r4

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "34ford"tranny is out of a 86 camaro 700r4

A ground wire would be suggested in the "D" pin hole on the connector. "D" location is directly behind the "A" location .......... provided in other post.
Tony

34ford

Thanks Crosley. Will do.

One more question. If the converter is locked up and you come to a stop will it kill the engine? Have heard it will but mine never does.

BFS57

Quote from: "34ford"Thanks Crosley. Will do.

One more question. If the converter is locked up and you come to a stop will it kill the engine? Have heard it will but mine never does.

Hello;
It didn't in my case but you don't really want to start out with it engaged because It really puts a strain on the motor as well as the trans. This is how you break things!
I am always careful to make sure lock up is switched off. I rarely use it except for highway cruising. Around town, I keep my trans in "3" as it does not need 4th. This is the way we drive our 02' TrailBlazer!(4L60E)

Bruce

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "34ford"Thanks Crosley. Will do.

there is no oil pressure provided in first gear for the converter to lock up.  GM designed the trans like that.

If the trans converter is locked in first gear there are internal  problems
Tony