Need long water pump pulley help...

Started by My52Chebby, August 07, 2010, 11:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

Hi all,

Haven't been on for a while, my summer job started and life got in the way.

Recently, I had to move the belts on the front of my small block. This is the setup I had: LONG water pump, 3-groove crank pulley, 2-groove water pump pulley and single grooves on the alternator and power steering pump, air conditioning compressor had 2-groove pulley but my setup only used the rear one but it's on the lower right side and you hardly see the pulley. All brackets are by Alan Grove.

Problem with that setup is that the a/c belt would interfere/rub at the water pump outlet hose.

I solved the problem by moving the a/c belt to the middle groove of the 3-groove crank pulley and the front groove of the a/c compressor (belt only revolves around 2 pulleys). That put the alternator belt in the front groove of the 3-groove crank pulley and front groove a the 2-groove long water pump pulley.  (you still with me???)

To run the power steering pump off the rear groove of the crank pulley, I now needed a 2-groove power steering pump pulley but that left the front groove of the p/s pump pulley empty. I solved that problem with the purchase of Summit Racing custom p/s pulley for a kit they make. It is a single groove p/s pulley that used the rear position (of a 2 groove pulley).

Well now, all the belts clear everything but I have an empty groove at the water pump pulley (the most visible pulley). Buying a single groove pulley for the water pump won't solve my problem because I need the belt to line up with the front groove of a 2-groove water pump pulley and the only single groove pulleys I've been able to find put the groove in the rear position of the 2-groove long water pump pulley.

NOW HERE'S MY QUESTION:

Does anyone make a custom (billet or otherwise) pulley for a long water pump that utilizes the front position of a 2-groove water pump pulley?

Thanks guys...

My52Chebby

p.s.: So far, only solution I've found is machining of the rear groove of the water pump pulley (in the picture below) and having the pulley re-chromed.

Picture below shows old setup...

enjenjo

In a word, no.  The cheapest suggestion would be to run a longer power steering pump belt, and utilise the rear water pump groove. You could machine the pulley off and rechrome as you suggested. You could also dig up a pulley from another application, even a different manufacturer that might be shallow enough. I would look at a 302 Ford, or possibly an older V6 Buick.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.