M II rack boot

Started by 40cpe, October 11, 2010, 09:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40cpe

My 15 yr old R & P has a torn boot on it. Old age, I guess. Can I just count the threads on the rod end as I remove it and reinstall the same to keep my toe in? How much does one thread throw off the toe?

A couple of years ago I was having steering wheel shake from this car and asked your advice on what to look for. After running down all your suggestions I had about 1/16" toe instead of the 1/8" I was running and the shaking stopped. I don't want to change anything for fear of the dreaded shake coming back.

enjenjo

That should work if you count carefully.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

PeterR

Quote from: "40cpe"My 15 yr old R & P has a torn boot on it. Old age, I guess. Can I just count the threads on the rod end as I remove it and reinstall the same to keep my toe in? How much does one thread throw off the toe?

I have tried this but found that when reassembling it is difficult to determine just where the rod end catches on the first thread and then it becomes a matter of is it turn #zero or turn #1, and at what point of the turn do I start counting

This is a more reliable method.

Remove the boot from the rack housing then cut off the boot close to the clamp.  Looking from the outside of the car toward the rack, push the tie rod tapered pin with your thumb clockwise to its limit of travel.  Clamp some vice grips to the tie rod close to the rack end and make the handle of the vicegrip parallel to the tapered pin.  

The vicegrips are there purely to set a reference position, do not push against them when loosening or tightening the lock nut because they may slip and you will lose the reference.

Loosen the lock nut slightly, then if the rod end has moved on the thread return it to the original position by realigning the pin with the vice grips.   Turn the lock nut so it is finger tight against back of the rod end.

Unscrew the rod end without moving the lock nut.

After rod end is off, measure the distance from the end of the tie rod to the face of the locknut then make a note of the measurement.  

Remove the lock nut and the old boot then install the new boot so it bunches up against the vice grips.

Refit the nut to the original measurement from the end of the tie rod.

Screw on the rod end taking care not to disturb the lock nut.

When the rod end touches the locknut, do a "fine adjustment" by checking the pin is parallel with the handle of the vicegrips.  Tighten the locknut then check the pin is still parallel to the vicegrips.  If it is not, loosen the lock nut and adjust as necessary.

This sounds tedious but really only adds about a minute to the job and ensures the tie rod is returned to its original position.

40cpe

Well, I took careful measurements, counted threads carefully, but the boot is too small to go on the housing end by about 3/8". There is no way it will stretch that far. NAPA says it's the right part and they don't have a book listing various boots w/dimensions. Maybe it's an aftermarket part not made to Ford specs. Any body know of a source for various boots that cam be fitted using my measurements?

wayne petty

how about some casting numbers off the rack housing...

there are ford  rack and pinions..

there are also TRW rack and pinions..

is it a single casting.... or aluminum and steel pieces..

two or 3 mounting loops....

and some measurements of the ends of the housing where the boot clamps on...

boots have to stretch a bit...

i don't think there will be any numbers on the old boot.. but maybe...

how many ridges on the boots???

here are some part numbers... for BOOTS ONLY not rack applications. so you only really have 4 or 5 possible part numbers...

left side  and then right

75,76 all   8562 8563
77 3 hole mount 8562, 8563
77 2 hole mount 8547, 8563
78                  8547, 8563

79 89 TRW          8547, 8547
79 89 ford           8960, 8960

these are edelman part numbers...

the ford rack and pinion.. has a narrowing ribbed area to the passenger side of the input shaft before the closest pressure tube fitting..

the TRW rack has a smooth area to the passenger side of the input shaft before the first fitting  and the input shaft housing bolts on..

it is totally possible that other years of racks have been sold as mustang 2 racks..

if you cannot find what you need at napa.. or at local rack and pinion rebuidiing shops.. i have one a few miles from my house who will sell them to me...    see if the right and left are the same...

75 M2 rack and pinion

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/atp/6413/image/4/

77 must 2   2 bolt rack...

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/atp/6418/image/4/

40cpe

Wayne, Thank you so much for going into so much detail. It is a manual rack with 2 mounting brackets like in your second picture. I don't see and numbers on it but I can only see the bottom. The mounting on the rack housing is 2 1/4" and the seal surface on the tie rod is 1/2". The opening on the boot listed for the M II is only 1.86". There is no way it will stretch to go on the rack housing.

I dug around on the NAPA site and finally found all the R&P boots, about 15 pages of them. I wrote down the part numbers of about 6 that I thought will work, called them and settled on one they had. It is really about an inch too long but will work temporarily. Even though I am just outside Mississippi's largest city, there are many services we lack.

I'm driving it to Dawsonville, GA next week for the Moonshine Festival. I always get under the car and check it out for chaffed lines/wires, cracked welds, etc. before a long trip. I'll keep a check on it and find a better fit if it fails.

Thanks again for all your tips

wayne petty

Quote from: "40cpe"It is a manual rack with 2 mounting brackets

oops....      those are all part number for power rack and pinions...

i never even thought about it being a manual rack and pinion...

you have something like this..

http://www.cardone.com/Imagesftp/23/231700-01.jpg

here is the possible book kit for a manual rack box...  found at rock auto
fits a 74 M2 with a 2.3
MOOG Part # K8437  Rack & Pinion Bellow Kit; Rack & Pinion Bellow
Frt Strg; w/M/S

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=203429&imageurl=http%3A//info.rockauto.com/Moog/K8437_TOP.jpg

40cpe

That looks like the correct one, but without measurements it's hard to tell. I've looked at several sites that sell that part, but none give any sizes.

wayne petty

i crossed it at napa

Rack & Pinion Boot Kit
Product Line: NAPA Chassis Parts  
Comments: w/ Manual Steering
Per Car Qty.: 2
Compare    NCP 2691525   

Attributes       Boot Length : 7.10"
Large End Diameter : 1.84"
Small End Diameter : .42"
Application Information:       1974 Ford Mustang II
Comments: w/ Manual Steering
Per Car Qty: 2

http://partimages.genpt.com/largeimages/536753.jpg

40cpe

That's the one I bought originally but it wouldn't fit on the large end

wayne petty

pong... the ball is back in your court...

how about some measurements of the large ends...

pictures also..

i did take a look this morning for posts .. as i passed the rack and pinion shop twice ...

had to take a friends car to the welding shop where i got a little wild with the sawzall last week.. cutting the idler arm bolt out of his benz...  easier than removing the exhaust system from the car...

post the sizes...   as close as you can get...   not some calibrated eyeball like i use...

the napaonline site does have some sizes listed...

40cpe

Wayne, look at my post on Oct 14 at 6:08 pm.

Thanks,
Gene