Will a 10 inch clutch be enough

Started by junkyardjeff, July 31, 2010, 06:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I think my 65 custom 500 has a 10 inch clutch,the clutch system came from one with a 289 and is behind a 302 that I am planning on installing the 351-W thats presently in my 55 sunliner when I build the Y block for the 55.  Will the 10 inch clutch be enough or should I look for a 11 inch clutch and do the trucks have what I am looking for.  Right now it has a diaphram pressure plate that will get replaced with a 3 fingered unit as it requires way too much pedal effort.

Carnut

Well, if it was mine, I'd be looking for the 11 in clutch and I'd go with a diaphram.

It's been my experience that diaphrams were easier on the clutch leg than the 3 finger clutches.

Also been my experience the larger the diameter the easier on the pressure for the same amount of force, at least on the street.

junkyardjeff

The diaphram pressure plate I have in it is the hardest I have had in all the manual trans vehicles I have owned,I had the same issue with a  friends 64 country sedan.  When it was put togather he picked up a diaphram pressure plate which was also a little stiff and when the throw out bearing went bad I installed a 3 fingered pressure plate and the clutch pedal was much easier to push in,I dont know how they figure they require less pedal effort but evey one I ran into was a little stiff so no more for me.