32 is back

Started by enjenjo, March 02, 2010, 07:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

They brough back the 32 5 window today. They brought only the chassis at this point. I started setting up the chassis, got the rear done except for the coilovers. Then on to the front end. It also needs to be wired, I am prewiring the chassis before the body goes back on. I'll install a plug at the frame/body junction.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

39deluxe

Something new to check out Sunday.

Tom

GPster

Quote from: "39deluxe"Something new to check out Sunday.Tom
A flat surface to set the coffee pot on. GPster

Danimal

Quote from: "GPster"

I don't drink coffee, I guess we'll have to put a cooler on there as well...or maybe a box of donuts.

GPster

Quote from: "Danimal"
Quote from: "GPster"
I don't drink coffee, I guess we'll have to put a cooler on there as well...or maybe a box of donuts.
Just as long as those extra boys you're bringing don't use it to sit on all day. GPster

enjenjo

I have run into a problem setting up the front end on this car. When setting the caster, the upper bars on the 4 bar are too short. The adjuster end is only screwed in about two threads.  I'm going to have to find some longer bars, since the frame is painted, and I can't move the anchor point without repainting everything.  No wonder this car sat so long without being finished.

kb426

I would guess you're wondering what else you'll find.
TEAM SMART

phat46

Frank, are the upper and lower bars the same length? My thought is that the lower might be longer and you might be able to switch them.  With the axle leaned back for correct caster the top bar would be shorter than the lower bar. Maybe, probably depends on the batwing. Just a thought.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have run into a problem setting up the front end on this car. When setting the caster, the upper bars on the 4 bar are too short. The adjuster end is only screwed in about two threads.  I'm going to have to find some longer bars, since the frame is painted, and I can't move the anchor point without repainting everything.  No wonder this car sat so long without being finished.

Poor planning will always produce consistently poor results won't it? Some years ago I fixed a hot rod that had been on its roof. At first I thought it was pretty much driver error, but the deeper I got into the car and questioning the owner the more "stuff" I found that may have contributed. I couldn't believe things the "pro's" missed and some bad choices in terms of parts application. Lot's of 1/4 mile stuff that just doesn't do well on street cars...

Sounds like you need to bite the bullet and make a longer pair of upper bars.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Sounds like you need to bite the bullet and make a longer pair of upper bars.Charlie
Or maybe use a male x male threaded stud an a female threaded rod end on each side (there is no sexual inuendo here) GPster

enjenjo

Well, the lower bar is just long enough as it is, and all 4 are the same length. Looking at the end of the bar, it may have been cut off in the past. Tomorrow I am going to do some calling around, and see what the bar length is on some of the kits, if I am lucky, I can find one that will work. If not, I'll be making a couple bars. The car has 9/16" bolts on all the front end parts, I am having to special order all the hardware for it.

When I took it apart, it was all bound up from being so badly out of adjustment.

39deluxe

It looked just fine just setting there. :D

Kind of makes you wonder what the guy was thinking that assembled it in the first place. It should have been obvious that something wasn't right.

Tom

enjenjo

Quote from: "39deluxe"It looked just fine just setting there. :D

Kind of makes you wonder what the guy was thinking that assembled it in the first place. It should have been obvious that something wasn't right.

Tom

I don't know the guy who built it. I do know he got it to this point about 15 years ago, and stopped. My guess is, he started running into problems, and had no idea how to proceed.

nzsimon

9/16 they are serious bolts
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

enjenjo

Quote from: "nzsimon"9/16 they are serious bolts

I got it all done. I ended up finding some longer adjusters, so I had enough threads. Since some of the mountung bolts went clear through the boxed frame, I did have a bit of trouble finding stainless bolts that were long enough. Ended up getting them from a chandler in Florida.