man i'm getting old

Started by river1, August 01, 2010, 04:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

I have a pair of safety glasses with the magnifier in the bottom .This does not work well when you are machining as they magnify when you look down and that is when I am turning dials at arms length. I switched to a magnifier visor that I keep above my sight line . When I need to see up close I just have to tip my head down a bit.Just a note to you younger guys ,wear sunglasses when it is bright out,direct sunlight will accelerate macular degeneration. I never made a habit of wearing or even owning sunglasses until recently.Gas welding is my greatest frustration,I used to do it quite well until the short vision deteriorated. if they could make cheater #4 lenses I would like to get some.

Rrumbler

Like Uncle Bob says, "LIGHT"; probably the most bestest thing you can do for these problems, but some of us have sorted things out to suit our own needs; the same thing does not work for everyone.  I still prefer my old flip lens hood, even though I have a nice new auto-dark one - but I'm old, and set in my ways.  I worked my sight problems out with a combination of tinted "cheaters" glasses, and a lighter shade in my hood, as well as adding more light to the work.

JayBee said:

QuoteThink I'm having the same issue. Unfortunately I can't wear glasses under my goggles when oxy/acetylene welding. I have a Lincoln Electric auto darkening helmet, but it's too dark to gas weld. Can it be adapted to a lighter lens tint?

I don't know of an auto hood that can darken that light; seem that most of them only go as low as maybe a seven or so, if even that.  Years ago, I had a set of single lens goggles that were flip lens just like my hood.  After smoking my whiskers one too many times while using gas, I put the lens from my goggles into the lens holder of my hood; worked like a charm, and the hood with it's leather beard shield kept me from getting excited when my face started to smolder.  I finally went and bought another hood so I didn't have to change lenses all the time.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.