steering wheel cup

Started by enjenjo, September 12, 2011, 09:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I am working on a 32 Ford 5 window. The turn signal switch has a wheel that runs on the bottom of the steering wheel to cancel the signal, in this case, he has an aftermarket wheel, and there was no place for the wheel to touch. I needed some kind of cup for the turn signal wheel to run on. I could not find a cup I could use. My first thought was to metal spin a cup, but after making a form, I quickly found my lathe was not big enough, when I put pressure on the bar, the lathe would stall. So I took the form I had made, and made a female form to fit it, and hammer formed it, while chucked in the lathe. It had to be annealed 4 times during the forming, but it came out nice.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Pete

A 56 Ford pickup column has a cup similar to the one you made.
It also has the switch built in.
I have used the whole column assembly in 32's several times.

WZ JUNK

You are just plan handy Frank.  Looks great.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

unklian

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Aluminum?

Yes. .090"

Charlie Chops 1940

Frank Will the "hammer mold" work with only the male half radiused? That's the way my louver die are done.

Very nice work by the way.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Frank Will the "hammer mold" work with only the male half radiused? That's the way my louver die are done.

Very nice work by the way.

Charlie

Yes. I had a flat plate over the center to keep it flat after I had started to form it, but other than that no female form. I did take a light cut with the lathe after it was formed to show me the low spots, and metal finished it to raise them. That probably woould not be necessary with a metal form, but I used a wood form. Then just sanded and polished it in the lathe.