Another (real) neutral safety switch question....

Started by slocrow, July 20, 2010, 11:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

I don't have a operating neutral safety switch and don't want to do a "Photo Guy" thingy  :lol:  so........ I think it's a GM van column with the switch mounted low and exposed male tabs. I assume it's splicing in the switch. Which wire and which tabs need to be used to get the job done. Does the selector position mean anything as I believe it's normally a 350 trans and now it's a 700 so the détente relationship with the column shifter position is different? Thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

enjenjo

There should be 4 terminals on the switch, arranged in pairs. Two at right angles to each other, the other two parallel to each other.  The parallel terminals are the neutral switch.  Let me know if you need a plug, I can send you one.  If there are more than 4 terminals, let me know, it's a possibility. Park, reverse, and neutral are the same on all GM transmissions, so it really doesn't make a difference what trans you have.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

slocrow

WOW! Thanks for the quick reply. I might have a project for today. Oh wait, other things might have priority life the roof exhaust fan.

Which wire should I splice in, from the ignition I presume?
Thanks, Frank

enjenjo

QuoteWhich wire should I splice in, from the ignition I presume?

On most harnesses, it will be a purple wire from the ignition sw to the starter solenoid.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

slocrow

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteWhich wire should I splice in, from the ignition I presume?

On most harnesses, it will be a purple wire from the ignition sw to the starter solenoid.
Thanks, Mine are all shade 76 but "usually" marked. I'll get to it soon. Boy that attic is hot. I hope it's another thermostat and not the fan motor. PIA to try to get it out from inside.............. :(