C4 Corvette rear end

Started by lofat46, July 20, 2010, 04:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lofat46

I'm new to this forum (uglyolds made me sign up  :lol: ) and just thought I'd throw a tech question out there.  I'll be starting a new project this fall, a '48 Chevy convertible and have this C4 ('87) vette rear end sitting in the garage and eyeballing it looks like it would be good fit.  Anyone out there done this installation on a '41-'48 Chevy car?  Any measurements, photo's or tips would be appreciated.  Except for the massive x-member the convertible rails are the same as regular passenger cars.
Thanks,
Tony

GPster

You might visit Progressive Automotive Baltimore Ohio on the internet. They've be into rods since the '70s and now they're doing quite a biy with installing Vette parts. GPster

wayne petty

i was looking for a frame chart ... to try to help you set it up...

but you might really want to at least breeze through this  thread on the C4 anti squat set up...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/autocrossing-and-roadracing/1224152-anti-squat-on-a-c4-why-so-much.html

papastoyss

I put one of these rears under a glass 37 Ford coupe in the mid 90's. In order to get the car to sit low I had to arch the frame rails up thru the trunk floor to have decent suspension thavel. Rear end ratios run pretty high, 3.07 is about the lowest common gear ratio. I wound up installing a 3.70 aftermarket gear set to go w/the 700R4 trans.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

UGLY OLDS

Tony ...Look me up in Sycamore this weekend or call my cell when you are there ..I have some info for you on this install.......

Bob......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****