More Model Cars

Started by Carps, March 12, 2011, 08:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carps

Quote from: "34ford"Really a neat shop setup you have there.
Some days it's neater than others.   :wink:

QuoteMust not be cold or freezing weather there as seeing the metal roof in the shop probably means no need for insulation.
It's snowed here maybe twice in the last 40 years, temp rarely drops below 10, usually around 15-20 during the coldest part of winter and average 30 during summer althogh when it gets hot it's bloody hot.  Humidity is almost 0 all year 'round.

QuoteDo you use the camera in program/auto or choose your own settings?
Sometimes but I do like to experiment.  Prog mode doesn't always bring the aperture down small enough for good depth of field.

QuoteKeep up the good work.
Thanx.

QuoteWill have to post some of mine from the early 60"s that I made in junior high.
Please do, I'd love to see tham.  You may even notice some of my similar period builds in the background of at least one of these shots.

Those unopened kits are probably very valuable now.  Some guys I know will pay a fortune for old kits and they hate me because of the thousand or so kits I have unbuilt there's some very old ones but they are all opened, because I remove the decal sheets and keep them in sealed dry storage so they don't deteriorate.

I have plnety of unused tyres if you want to replace the perished ones.

I'm fortunate that living on a mountain as I do there's a huge space beneath the house to store projects and other stuff, so my garage or as SWMBO calls it the Castle of Solitude can be kept clear of stuff that's not critical to what's happening today.

The model building centre is located in here along with the car building centre, the pinstriping centre and the aforementioned photo studio.  I do also have one room in the house filled with books and toys etc. but we have a rule.  No car stuff anywhere else in the house and no gurl/houshold stuff in the garage.

The model building table was once a reception desk and is perfect with lots of storage and cabinet space for parts, tools and a few more kits.

The filing cabinet, whilst not originally intended for this purpose, also has each drawer filled with model kit stock.

There's also a couple of steel cabinets that were originally intended for other purposes, that are now also completely filled with model kits.

That is because I've run out of space in the shelving area.  They are only one deep in the wall shelves but three deep in in the timber cabinet at the end of the metal shelving and there's more in the cabinets around the other side of that bench and the metal cabinets under the main workbench on the other side of the shed.  In fact all the stuff that's not model kits in the metal shelving has since been moved and those shelves are now also filled with kits.

I built this stand so that the compressor and modelling toolbox could be moved to wherever it needed to be.  I can run up to 3 airbrushes from this unit if required.

Of course the tools and other stuff are more neatly laid out than my sock drawer in the house.    :D  

SWMBO says I have too many, but the plan is to build 'em all before I leave.  Retirement will not be boring when I finally decide it's time.   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

river1

HEY there i am, in the upper left corner 8)

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Carps

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:   Yup, pride of place, right next to Bob K and Jay Carnine!

Meanwhile, here's another Merc, this one the Revellogram '49, which comes pre chopped and slightly customised.

I filled the front side marker lamps and tidied up the grille opening

At the rear I also filled the tailamp holes (it uses Lincoln or Cad Bullets) and modified the stock bumper from an AMT kit to take red plastic bullets.  I also blended the lower quarters, removing the vertical edge.

The interior I left pretty simple and just added widow cranks and door handles as they are not part of the kit.

The dash is detailed with instrument decals and a little white glue to simulate lenses.

Under the hood I rmoved the stock battery and filled the hole, and also added better looking rocker covers to the kit's Caddy engine.

That also explained the odd shaped parts in the kit as the engine then didn't fit in the hole without some more changes and trimming.

Underneath it's pretty much as it was meant to be and all I did there was add some flared aluminium tube as exhaust tips.

The body was painted blue flake but just didn't seem right, so I decided to try a gene Winfield style fade job.  Not sure it worked the way I wanted but it adds something so that's the way it stayed.

Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.