GM p/s question

Started by DRD57, July 14, 2010, 04:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

I got the 51 Olds running and now I'm working out all the new car bugs, fixing leaks etc.

It has a GM 605 box and Saginaw pump. The box is of unknown quality, the pump is rebuilt.

I'm getting a LOT of bubbles in the pump reservoir, foaming actually, whenever the engine is started and the steering wheel is turned. The wheel doesn't turn smoothly either.

What do I need to do?

enjenjo

Foaming can be caused by contaminated, usually water, or the wrong fluid. ATF will foam.  The roughness in turning can be rusty balls in the box itself, or rust in the spool valve. both can be repaired, but a reman box is faster. You could install an inline filter, and it might clear up, but proactive is better in this case.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

Quote from: "enjenjo"rusty balls in the box

OUCH!!!!
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

DRD57

I ended up putting a rebuilt box in it. Then had to re-engineer hoses because the new box had O-ring fittings instead of flares like the old one. I put clear PS fluid in it but the box apparently had ATF in it. I'm still getting the foaming problem and the fluid is red.

Looks like I have to flush the whole thing and put clean fluid in it again.

wayne petty

is there any chance that something fell into the pump and is partly blocking the inlet..???   the cardboard bottle cap gasket..????

that might cause weird problems...

i have quieted a few with type F  ATF instead of dextron..  thicker base oil..

its a shame that you did not post that the box came with out the flair adaptor inserts... they are available ...  

would have saved you a LOT of time...

Digger

Double check your hoses to make sure they are hooked up right.
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

enjenjo

Quote from: "Digger"Double check your hoses to make sure they are hooked up right.

Return line is closest to the steering wheel.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

DRD57

Lines are right.

I tried the flare adapter but couldn't get one that fit so, I cut the end off of an O-ring line and tig welded it to the end of the old line.

It's foaming up like it has dish soap in it.