formula one tire trouble video..

Started by wayne petty, April 25, 2010, 02:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

back to the drawing boards guys...

http://www.guzer.com/videos/race-car-tire-trouble.php

i wonder if that race was here in so cal...  might explain the massive pot hole...

39deluxe

How in the wide world of sports could that happen?

UGLY OLDS

" You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel......"  :(

Bob........... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

jaybee

BOTH tires at the same time, really?  Wow!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

sirstude

That was last weekend.  Those F1 cars have some SERIOUS brakes on them.  When he hit the brakes, it broke both the A arms on both sides.  Carbon Fiber is neat, but it does have some drawbacks, steel would have bent, not break.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

Must be a * helpless feeling  sitting there .. at speed , no control of the  direction of the car.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

39deluxe

Quote from: "Crosley"Must be a * helpless feeling  sitting there .. at speed , no control of the  direction of the car.

Like driving on ice. Oops, you wouldn't know about that.  :D

Tom

Mac

Frantically and futilely feeding steering input just waiting for momentum to quit. 5 seconds must have felt like half an hour  :shock:
Who\'s yer Data?

wayne petty

you know... instead of steering.. i bet he was pushing the radio transmit button on the steering wheel...  and cursing up a storm...

butch27

Somebody is gonna' get hurt in one of them durn racing cars! LOL

WINGNUTZ

Nothing to do with the tires... looked like both of the super light weight wheels snapped at the hub.

Crafty

This was caused by suspension arm failure, when the load was increased due to braking it broke, this in turn caused the other side to break..

If you watch closely you'll see the whole hub assembly rips away from the arms.

wayne petty

i have been thinking about carbon fiber parts for years...

i wonder if they have changed their designs and added something inside the layers of carbon cloth that has some strength  like post tensioning cables do to concrete castings..  but instead of putting the part in compression.. it keeps the attached parts from flying off if the carbon fiber breaks.. sort of an internal leash...

the vision in my head if you think back to the airplane that went down in new york where the vertical tail broke off after too much input by the pilot...  the tail was attached by 4 or 6 mounting lugs... all carbon composite..    but with only layers of carbon fiber wrapped around the holes...   no structural material ... so it all had the same strength...

my thought would be to wrap strands of a stronger non heat damaged material into the layers around the attachment points.. then it gets all laminated together.. so if it breaks... it still maintains its shape..

probably do it with welded loops of the material.. so it cannot just pull out like a thread...  

loops would also be to slightly different areas... so it would spread the forces out...

but.. this is just my forward thinking..  from somebody who does not know what he is talking about..