Oil consumption started with the installation of a aluminum

Started by junkyardjeff, June 06, 2010, 11:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I put a edelbrock performer on a low mile 302 and then it started to use oil,I had driven it a couple years before changing to a 4 bbl and the motor did not use oil before the swap. What possibly could have went wrong with the installation to make it start using oil,it runs fine and no vacumn leaks but uses about a quart of oil every 500 miles where it used none between oil changes before.  I have to take the motor apart again to get a noisey valve guide replaced so I picked up a factory cast iron intake to replace the performer,I have not had good luck with aluminum intakes as the first one I put on the motor was a used one I got off ebay which was cracked and now this with the new one.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

When I got the intake I got the installation kit that included bolts and gaskets,the bolts would not retain the torque and loosened up plus one broke when torquing to the specified setting that came with the intake so I replaced them with the original bolts and could that have been the cause of the oil consumption. The cast iron intake will be going on and I doubt I will ever use another aluminum intake again.

wayne petty

just curious... did a new shiny PCV valve get installed with the aluminum intake...

some are sorted by shape.. not flow rates.. one size fits all..

over sized flow rates can cause oil consumption rates like you describe..

why do i know this..  when i worked at the engine builder..  a ford FE kept coming back for warrantee.. burning oil..   after the 3rd free rebuild.. including all different parts for the second time...  when that motor starting consuming oil.. i was out with the boss looking under the hood.. i ask what had been done just before it started burning oil...

all the chrome accessories.. and a full tune up and a new carb..

including a new PCV...  i told the guy to go to ford and buy a motorcraft or FORD pcv.. .. i would pay for it if it did not cure the problem..  it did..  

if you know any oil time mechanics..  in the 60's.. rimac tool company made a disc shaped PCV flow tester..  you placed it over the breather opening.. looked at the flow into the engine at idle.. too much.. smaller pcv was needed...  not enough a larger one was needed.. i have not seen one of those in decades..  i did find a picture of the tester online ...

there is not a lot of problems with aluminum intakes.. it was the bolts..

when you take it apart.. you might take a micrometer.. not a caliper and measure the crush on the intake gaskets.. at the top of the ports and at the bottom of the ports..  but away from the outer edge where it might not get much crush as it hangs over..    just an idea...  most of the time you can see it with your eyes...  if the intake slipped on the jig.. it might not be equally machined..

junkyardjeff

After the fiasco with the used intake I put sealer on both sides of the gaskets hoping I would not have a problem again but this time it runs better,I will check the gaskets when I tear it apart and I wish i would of used the factory bolts as the Mr Gasket bolts were junk.