Adding self adjusters on Older Brake System

Started by parklane, June 20, 2010, 06:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parklane

Looking to put self adjusters on my 56 Ford wagon. Does anyone know what I need to make this happen? TIA
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

enjenjo

Use Wagner #283 shoes, drilled for the self adjuster mechanism, use Wagner self adjuster kit F98370/1, and wagner Combikit F87351. That should supply all the parts you need. These parts are listed for a F100 with 11" by 1 3/4" brakes.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

this is what it should look like....

i think now that i look at it.. i might have to take the lower return  spring off... i  did not notice till now that it rubs on the top of the star wheel...

be sure that when you install the self adjuster parts...

that the adjuster lever is slightly below center on the star adjuster..

i have run into a few where the cable was a fraction too short and the adjuster failed to be turned when i flexed the cable slightly..

the brakes adjust when the system is operated and stopped going backwards...

in forward operation.. the front shoe is pulled away from the anchor at the top... forcing the secondary shoe into the drum.. and against the anchor pin...

when backing ... the secondary shoe is pulled off the anchor pin..  this pulls the cable slightly if the shoes are out of adjustment.. lifts the adjuster lever.. grabs the star wheel and turns it slightly...

make sure that when you have it all together.. that the star wheel turns.. and the adjuster opens ... gets wider...  there are left and right threaded adjusters...

the drums also have to have a fresh true surface... NO wear ridges.. no bell mouthed wear surfaces...    other wise you won't get proper braking as the shoes cannot seat flat against the drum...

if you need more instructions.. post..

parklane

Thanks guys, that's just what I needed.  :D  :D
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??