Which would you rather start with?

Started by enjenjo, May 19, 2010, 10:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Having built a few cars, I was thinking about this today. I find I would rather start with an original car, with all the faults, than redo a car that was done in the past.

Some of the worst surprizes I have gotten were on cars that had been completed by others in the past.

I had one, an old restoration from the 50s, that had the original plywood floor boards replaced  with 1/2" by 3" hardwood house flooring, held in place by dozens of tiny bolts and nuts. I had many holes to fill on that one.

The RRT Crosley is another one, it was totally disassembled, down to the last spot weld. As a race car, it was a good start, but if we were trying to restore it to stock, it would be near impossible.

What do you think?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Leon

I've had a couple cars that the previous owner did more damage "fixing" it than if they left it alone.

moose

Frank,
I totally agree. I would rather start with an unmolested original. It saves having to redo others shoddy unsafe work but you get what you want first time...Also the nicer the original is to start the easier it is ot "restore" to hotrod condition....

57larry

I would also rather start with an untouched vehicle. looking at some that come into our shop, you just have to ask, "what were they thinking!"

kb426

In 1998, I decided I needed a Miata. That is the sbc of sports cars. I found a one owner unmolested car in Florida. It had 59,000 miles on it and only maint. done on it. I think you know where my opinion is going.
TEAM SMART

phat46

I agree it would be nice to start with an untouched car, my '46 Chevy was pretty much that way, the only modification was the engine removal and steering removal, the guy had added a disc brake kit on the stock front suspension and had a CE kit in the rear to mount the ten bolt. I think sometimes many guys can't afford to but am unmolested original, usually "projects" are cheaper, at least at first or maybe they just can't find the car they want that hasn't been "built".

OldSub

I feel guilty cutting up an unmolested car.  I've done it, but am more comfortable starting with something no one is going to restore.  Its my uncle's voice still ringing in my ears...  I try to ignore him but it doesn't always work.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

unklian

I hate fixing other peoples screw ups.

DRD57

I agree, I've been thinking about posting a sign like this is in the shop

SHOP RATE $65 per hr
If you watch $85 per hr
If you help $100 per hr
If you worked on it before $150 per hr

Digger

Quote from: enjenjoHaving built a few cars, I was thinking about this today. I find I would rather start with an original car, with all the faults, than redo a car that was done in the past.

Some of the worst surprizes I have gotten were on cars that had been completed by others in the past.

I had one, an old restoration from the 50s, that had the original plywood floor boards replaced  with 1/2" by 3" hardwood house flooring, held in place by dozens of tiny bolts and nuts. I had many holes to fill on that one.

The RRT Crosley is another one, it was totally disassembled, down to the last spot weld. As a race car, it was a good start, but if we were trying to restore it to stock, it would be near impossible.

You mention the Crosley, how are you guys doing on it? How far along are you?
I just bought a steel Fiat ex altered body (lots of rust) building a rotisserie for it now so I can blast it and work on the body--the whole bottom needs rebuilt. Do I hear MATCH RACE? Should we start throwing insults back and forth like WWF? LOL

Digger
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

enjenjo

QuoteYou mention the Crosley, how are you guys doing on it? How far along are you?
I just bought a steel Fiat ex altered body (lots of rust) building a rotisserie for it now so I can blast it and work on the body--the whole bottom needs rebuilt. Do I hear MATCH RACE? Should we start throwing insults back and forth like WWF? LOL

The body is pretty far along. Doors are hung, quarters are on. Next step is the top, which will be more work because of the chop. As we went along, we repaired the rust in the panels as they were installed

We have started on the frame, building the rear of the frame first. the rear axle housing is welded up, outside of the ends, waiting till all the brackets are done before welding the ends on.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

alchevy

My '40 Chevy Sedan was an original car when I got it. It was my first street rod to build and so I was glad I had a lot of help from my friends to build it. I remember when the first parts started arriving, I opened the box to find no instructions! When I told that to one of my friends, he said "We don't need no stinkin' insructions!" Oh yeah, that's what you go to after all else fails.
Well I sold the car this year and the new owner was very excited about getting it. When it arrived in Vancouver, he liked it even better. I bought the car with just talking to the owner and seeing two pictures. The guy I sold it to bought it the same way only with more pictures.
I am sure that there are things that I did to the car that the new owner will find and he might think "what was I thinking", but for the most part he bought a very solid "put it in the road and drive it anywhere" car.
I would say that learning how to build cars from friends is the best way. places like this forum is another good source. I always say "ask someone that's done it before". Books are another good place to find helpfull info. A few years ago I found one put out by Street Rodder magazine with all of their suspension articles in it. Street Rodders Handbook is another good source.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

alchevy

I thought of a few more things.....

A friend of mine bought a truck and he found that the guy before him had used a Sears Craftsman universal joint in the steering linkage.

Another friend bought a car that had bondo in the frame!
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

junkyardjeff

I dont like buying cars that are apart.