SBC hidden oil plug depth location... important for builders

Started by wayne petty, June 04, 2010, 05:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

i ran across this image on a google search...

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu291/david467/oilplug.jpg

it shows the proper depth of the hidden plug under the rear main cap...

it according to other web sites... be 8 and a half inches down from the top of the block.. measured through the oil galley plug where the oil sending units are screwed in next to the distributer...

with this plug in the wrong location..  the oil pump will pump oil unfiltered directly to the engine.. bypassing the filter with most of it.. you will still have oil in the filter.. but not full flow..

i have not had a small block chevy bare block to get my hands on to measure..

perhaps someone who is better at it.. can paste the picture to this thread.. at a size that can be seen..

chimp koose

thanks for the tip.Have you got a picture of how deep the plug at the back of the block for the cam should be. I think I may have mine in too far

wayne petty

thats what i don't have.... any small blocks laying around...

i did post the 8 1/2" measurement with a strong rod down the oil pressure switch hole ...

thats how you have to knock the plug out.. with a long long rod through the oil pressure hole next to the distributer..  that way . you can get that last oil galley clean...

you can see in the picture that the plug is a cup plug that the face is just below the filtered oil passage back to the main vertical galley..   so this forces all the oil through the filter..

i would think with an assembled motor...  that is having weird oil pressure problems..  that a rod be stuck in there to see if the plug is at the right level...

i was even thinking of going to the core supplier and buying a block just to take pictures..  but i have no room right now to even store it.. and the wife cannot be convinced that its a lamp base or a night stand and sock holder..  socks stuffed into the cylinder bores.....   i've tried...

the core suppliers keep their blocks coated in dirty oil...  stops them from rusting .. makes taking pictures there  difficult..  i would think that there should be at least one member with a bare block laying around... to snap some pictures .....