4.3 chevy v6 ?s

Started by Stakebed, April 19, 2010, 08:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMRodder

Just to add a little.  If you want you can do a little milling on the throttle body intake ports and make a small aluminum adaptor plate to mount a 2GC Rochester 2bbl carb.  It works great, have helped with one on friends 4.3L and wasn't hard to do at all.

Just if your interested

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "GMRodder"Just to add a little.  If you want you can do a little milling on the throttle body intake ports and make a small aluminum adaptor plate to mount a 2GC Rochester 2bbl carb.  It works great, have helped with one on friends 4.3L and wasn't hard to do at all.

Just if your interested

I adapted a 2 barrel Holley 350 cfm  carb to my 4.3
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Digger

85 Astro Van 4.3s were carbureted from the factory. Might have even been a small 4bbl. can't recall. Should be a bunch in the boneyards.(easier than adapting?)
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

enjenjo

Quote from: "Digger"85 Astro Van 4.3s were carbureted from the factory. Might have even been a small 4bbl. can't recall. Should be a bunch in the boneyards.(easier than adapting?)

I have one here with a Quadrajet on it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

My 4.3 has the manifold for one of those electronic quadrajets. It looks like a cast iron "HI-rise". I guess so they could get the carb on the engine and still use the HEI. To test run the engine I used a quadrajet of a '79 350 that I had laying around. I had the fuel to the carburater gravety fed because I coud not get a fuel pump on the engine with any of the exhaust manifolds I have found. Maybe one of these days I'll find a carb off an engine that is closer to the size I need. The distributor on my engine was a Computor Controlled HEI with centrifugal advance and I just used the sensor out of the '79 350's distributor to do away with the computor's electronics. Also has a short water pump now using junk yard pulleys. Model A Vette was a lot of help helping me sort mine out. He has one in the back of a Corvair. I guess GM marine has reverse grind cams for them. GPster

Stakebed

Ya I was allready looking at the intake thinking of a rochester 2bbl. There are aftermarket 4bbl intakes available too, but kind of spendy. I will probablly try the 2bbl ideea to begin with. Jim

57larry

I used a Holly 390 I think on mine

Crosley.In.AZ

Gm  built or had an outside company  build a 4 barrel high  rise manny fold... aluminum material

I bought one when they were new.   it went on ebay  last year with some aluminum 4.3 performance cylinder heads from GM
Tony

58Apache

Do they make a performance cam for these that would give it V-8 power and give it more of a "hot rod" sound? I do like the idea of the fuel economy, but the 4.3 I had in my 95 Astro van sure was smooth and quiet. A very reliable engine though.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "58Apache"Do they make a performance cam for these that would give it V-8 power and give it more of a "hot rod" sound? I do like the idea of the fuel economy, but the 4.3 I had in my 95 Astro van sure was smooth and quiet. A very reliable engine though.

Hey Steve... Did your Astro have the Vortec engine with the "spider" injection & the extra balance shaft above the camshaft???    That's whats in my wife's Astro & it is VERY strong ... 8)      Wish I had that kind of power in my Grand Marquix...... :shock:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58Apache"Do they make a performance cam for these that would give it V-8 power and give it more of a "hot rod" sound? I do like the idea of the fuel economy, but the 4.3 I had in my 95 Astro van sure was smooth and quiet. A very reliable engine though.

I dont know about V-8 power,

there are aftermarket cams for the 4.3

the roller lifter cams are double the price of a flat tappet cam...  150.00 flat tappet cam    to 300 dollar area for a roller cam
Tony

58Apache

Quote from: UGLY OLDS

Hey Steve... Did your Astro have the Vortec engine with the "spider" injection & the extra balance shaft above the camshaft???    That's whats in my wife's Astro & it is VERY strong ... 8)      Wish I had that kind of power in my Grand Marquix...... :shock:

Bob... :wink:

Danged if I know. I think it was Vortec but won't swear to it. I swore AT it a few times when trying to work on that thing. They do NOT make it easy to get to in the Astro Van ...that I could figure out anyway. But like I said, I had no complaints with that engine in general.

model a vette

"After that the 4.3 was used as a FWD engine and the back of the block was made to fit the FWD transmissions."

I've been wrong before, but I don't think the 4.3 was used in FWD applications. It has always had the early V8 bellhousing pattern.

'85 Astro vans had a high rise manifold for their electronicly controlled Q-jets. It is VERY heavy! There was a similar manifold for marine engines.

Holley and  Weiand made manifolds for the earlier 200 & 229 V6s which will bolt onto non-Vortec 4.3s.

Edelbrock modified their 200-229 manifold for use on non-Vortec 4.3s. The main difference appears to be a cut in the divider under the carb. I think only the later Edelbrock is still in production.  

"there are aftermarket cams for the 4.3
the roller lifter cams are double the price of a flat tappet cam... 150.00 flat tappet cam to 300 dollar area for a roller cam"

The flat tappet cam can be used in 86-91 or 92 engines. The roller cams can make more HP and supposedly last longer.
Ed