Motorcycle accident

Started by enjenjo, April 22, 2010, 09:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

if   you are not comfortable riding in traffic ,  do not ride.

You must ride as if you are invisible  and watch everything , plus what drivers are doing inside the car too.  If you see a hand move for   a turn signal , or the hands move on the steering wheel, or the driver is looking down , on a cell phone.

I  followed a Beemer last week  in the left lane , the fellow had the cell phone in his ear with left hand.... his right hand - arm  were stretched out over the passenger seat.  I guess his knee was on the steering wheel  and driving about 60 in a 65 zone with folks really driving around 72 - 75
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

parklane

Well, I'm still riding. I figure, if you're gonna go, you might as well go doing something you enjoy.
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

cr55

I still ride, been doing it for over 30 years. I ride with a thought in mind from an older guy that was told to me when I first started riding...."You have to ride like everyone is out to get ya"!!! Words to live by...CR

OldSub

Quote from: "cr55"I still ride, been doing it for over 30 years. I ride with a thought in mind from an older guy that was told to me when I first started riding...."You have to ride like everyone is out to get ya"!!! Words to live by...CR
I was told something similar when I started riding in my teens.  Over the decades since I've lost the ability to focus that hard on being defensive.  

I now drive cars or trucks to shows and avoid competition because I know my own conditioning is not up to the job.  Maybe I could get it back but its not a priority now.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Mac

I still ride and have been for 40 yrs. although it's low annual, fairweather mileage. I just bought a new (to me) bike. Big inch V Twin motor, water cooled, shaft drive, 1988 Kawi. Vulcan 1500. It's twice the size I need or would normally buy, but I have a plan.
I too feel, more and more each year, the level of concentration and defensive driving that's required takes away from the enjoyment and sense of freedom.  My "advancing years" are a part of it as well, so...
The plan is to ride it for a year or so on 2 wheels then use it to make a 2F1R reverse trike. The image pictured is a photoshop rendering.
Rear suspension grafted to a tube frame with the engine mounted up front under the hood, extend the drive shaft back.

Oh, and Danimal. My second bike was a 1967  (in 1970-71) Honda CL77 305 Scrambler.  :D
Who\'s yer Data?

GPster

Ah! The Morgan Plus 3 syndrome. I had the idea for one like that when I first got out of the hospital but when I started thinking about parts to use. The only big bike with an automatic transmision I could think of was a Moto Gussi but they are rare and expensive. I heard that Honda made some 750 Hondamatics but I couldn't find one close. so I ended up with a Honda CM400A. Built a front frame and suspension and used the Honda frame for the rear with the frame neck at the seat's backrest.  That way the motorcycle's numbers were still around  for registration. The firdt try I took for driver's assesment was not so good with a car so I figured a motorcycle would never happen, so I put the bike back together and sold it. Got to talking to a guy in a wheelchair (not motorcycle related) one year at Bonneville and he was doing his riding with his wheelchair on a sidecar platform. He had been a rider before his health had deteriated and said it wasn't the same. He wasn't sitting high enouh to feel in control and the three wheels didn't give him the lean into the corner feeling. With my limited field of visionI started thinking about that seat height deal so I decided to see if I could drive again befor I started building a play vehicle. Something that looks like fun and is half way between a Harley and a Morgan is the Spider motorcycle. I'd think someone would come up with a kit for conversion to that type. GPster