Removing pin striping

Started by enjenjo, May 14, 2010, 07:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I am removing some Vinyl pinstriping from a car here. I bought a stripe eraser, that is good for about 99 percent, but I still have some glue to get off. I tried grease and wax remover, it didn't do it. Any suggestions that are not too hard on the paint? This is factory paint if it makes a difference. No clear coat.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

moose

I have had good luck with mineral spirits. Should not harm the paint. Another thing would be road tar remover...

Tim

tom36

3M  makes an adhesive remover  for this application.   Part# 08984.  Tom...

TJ's Dad

To remove the glue use Eucalyptus Oil  and if you need to remove painted pin lining or painted signs use Oven Cleaner .
I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

kb426

I use the 3M product regularly with my cycle projects. The sport bikes have graphics all over them.
TEAM SMART

phat46

Goo Gone? seems to take about anything off that I have ever tried it on.

UGLY OLDS

Frank.... This is gonna sound crazy......Try some WD-40 on a cloth rag....Won't hurt the paint & WILL remove the glue ... :shock:    I  do it all the time ...Price tags ...Stick on labels ...Anything with that type of adhesive.... :idea:

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

butch27

I use " Spray and Wash".

Topsterguy

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Frank.... This is gonna sound crazy......Try some WD-40 on a cloth rag....Won't hurt the paint & WILL remove the glue ... :shock:    I  do it all the time ...Price tags ...Stick on labels ...Anything with that type of adhesive.... :idea:

Yup, I use WD-40 too for stuff like that. It's AMAZING what that stuff will do!!!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

purplepickup

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Yup, I use WD-40 too for stuff like that. It's AMAZING what that stuff will do!!!
&NR=1
George

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "Topsterguy"Yup, I use WD-40 too for stuff like that. It's AMAZING what that stuff will do!!!
&NR=1

Yup.....It will do that too.... :shock:  ( Great for controlling weeds ..... 8)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  )

1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

For those of you that are interested, I used Goo Gone to remove the stripe adhesive. did a real nice job. No harm to the paint at all, although it did remove the dead paint from the surface.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.