seat width

Started by enjenjo, April 21, 2010, 08:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I need a measurement on a 65 Chevelle bucket seat. Thw width at the widest part of the seat bottom. A GTO should be the same.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"I need a measurement on a 65 Chevelle bucket seat. Thw width at the widest part of the seat bottom. A GTO should be the same.

I have a pair of '65 Impala buckets; different seat??

enjenjo

I don't know. I have a buddy who wants to replace his bench seat in a 65 Chevelle with buckets, and a stock console. He is going to use later model power seats, but needs to know how wide he can go, and I have not a clue.

zzebby

I have a stock 66 Chevelle.  Buckets are 23 inches wide, 4 inches from the door panels and about 7 1/2 inches in between where the console is.  You should try to convince him not to use late model buckets, IMO look tacky,  the old ones are still out there and recovering with a kit is not hard.

enjenjo

Quote from: "zzebby"I have a stock 66 Chevelle.  Buckets are 23 inches wide, 4 inches from the door panels and about 7 1/2 inches in between where the console is.  You should try to convince him not to use late model buckets, IMO look tacky,  the old ones are still out there and recovering with a kit is not hard.

Thanks. That  should be close enough. I tend to agree with you. 65 was the last of the low back seats, and have become extremely dear. And the ones you do find are in pretty rough shape. There are some later seats that will look ok, but a lot of them won't look right.

wayne petty

on early A body gm's ...  when having the seats out.. one might really want to inspect the forward seat floor mounting areas for cracks...

it could have just been my 66 GTO... but i ended up hanging on to the steering wheel at least once when the forward seat mounts broke out of the floor on a (what was normal for me) a hard launch from a signal..

my 66 had low back seats.. and i think 67 or 68 got adjustable head rests..

enjenjo

The 65 A body seats had a squared off back, the 66 and up had a tapered back, and got headrests in 67 GM called the 66 seats "Astrobucket" seats.

57larry

my 67 Camaro doesn't have headrests

GPster

Just a thought. You might find narrow GM bucket without a backrest and square sided backs in Corvairs. They didn't have  a consol so the narrower cars may have had seats wide enough. GPster

junkyardjeff

A local junkyard down here in Dayton has a few corvairs.