Corvette question

Started by phat46, April 13, 2010, 07:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

Quote from: "phat rat"I wouldn't expect much for $4,000 or less
Ya, around here they bring around that $ at the insurance salvage auctions.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

phat rat

Quote from: "phat46"

There's a lot out there in that price range, check Craigslist, I was quite surprised when we started looking. We found one with a nice engine in it, rebuilt and built up nicely. that car needed paint and some fiberglass work, but was worth the money. My friend was put off by the 'glass work, but the car had rebuilt brakes and suspension and they were only asking $3,500.  That era 'Vette doesn't seem to have much value right now.
\

I was refering to quality, which your answer more or less confirms
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

phat46

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "phat46"

There's a lot out there in that price range, check Craigslist, I was quite surprised when we started looking. We found one with a nice engine in it, rebuilt and built up nicely. that car needed paint and some fiberglass work, but was worth the money. My friend was put off by the 'glass work, but the car had rebuilt brakes and suspension and they were only asking $3,500.  That era 'Vette doesn't seem to have much value right now.
\

I was refering to quality, which your answer more or less confirms

Yup we know for that money you're not going to get a show car, or even a really nice driver. Those are going for about $8-10,000 and we have looked at several of those too. I was surprised by a couple of the cars we looked at that were actually good buys for someone that can do the required work.  Basically looking for a solid car that might need some interior work or a paint job. He has helped me on a paint job before, he know how to sand now.  :lol:  I have told him I will paint a car for the cost of materials. We just want to make sure that it's a solid platform to start with and mechanically sound. I am actually trying to find ways to discourage him from buying any 'vette, they always seem to turn into a money pit, but if he goes through with it I want to make sure he doesn't buy an unsafe car.

phat rat

We all know any car can be a money pit. If he really wants a Vette I say go for it. I had fun with the 74 I had. If you consider what materials can cost for a paint job, upholstery and carpet the ones priced a little higher aren't really that much more. Even back in 88 when I bought mine there were a lot of real beat 70's era ones out there
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

phat46

Quote from: "phat rat"We all know any car can be a money pit. If he really wants a Vette I say go for it. I had fun with the 74 I had. If you consider what materials can cost for a paint job, upholstery and carpet the ones priced a little higher aren't really that much more. Even back in 88 when I bought mine there were a lot of real beat 70's era ones out there

Yeah, he'd love to spend 10 grand on one, but thanks to his GF that totaled his DD back in Jan. he's only got about 4 grand to play with right now. He's looking for something safe to drive and do the cosmetic, interior stuff down the road. He works on the freighters and is gone all summer and fall so I hope this doesn't become another deal like he had with a '79 Firebird. After spending LOTS of money and taking the car apart he lost interest and ended up scrapping the Firebird and selling the motor that he had  about 3 grand in parts for a few hundred. I keep telling him to wait a year and get a nicer one next year. He's kind of impulsive and I'm trying to reign him in. So far he hasn't called to ask me to go look at the latest 'Vette so maybe he's changed his mind! He's a grown man so he can do as he pleases, but I'm trying to be a friend....

cr55

I'm trying to sell my 77, but the few who have come are looking for show quality and you're not going to find it for 5500! Mine is a driver and looks good. It has a few nicks, but nothing else, still looks and runs great. I know they're pigs as someone stated, but I like the body style and it didn't cause me to refinance my house to buy! :) Shame you're so far away! I'm a firm believer that life is too short to not do what you want! Tell your buddy to go for it!...CR