Hey Wayne Petty

Started by Okiedokie, April 19, 2010, 09:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

Turns out my head has a pinhole casting flaw. Local engine builder who comes highly recommended says he has repaired many of the same with great success. The hole is approximately 1/32 in diameter. What is your opinion? I hopefully have attached a picture. Joe

Okiedokie

wayne petty

i too have seen many many heads with cracks or holes there repaired..

many of the rebuilt long blocks used to come with repaired heads..

nobody usually knows...   a lot of exchange heads have been repaired...

it all depends upon the craftsman who did the repair..   you notice i said craftsman.. repairing heads is an art..  but it can be learned..

are the heads ported???   i forgot to look to see if you had bigger than 1.94/1.50 valves..  or if you had screw in studs and guide plates installed..     how much rust damage there is to the valve seats.. and valve faces...

repair verses replace????      depends on what you have in them...

and i think you said they were 882 heads..   so those are almost a dime a dozen..  they used to sell as complete rebuildable cores for 50 bucks each..  but i am sure the price for a rebuildable core 882 head is now more like 100 bucks.. and then throw in the valve and guide work..

so repairing verses replacement..   and the better breathing vortec aftermarket heads just work so much better.. just finding somebody with the drill jig i posted a few days ago.. if they don't come already drilled for both patterns...

sorry i cannot pin it down farther...

did you blow the rusty water out from around the piston rings...    crank the motor a few times... with the heads off and soak the cylinder walls with wd40... crank it more.. wipe it down .. spray more .. wipe it down..  spray more..    this gets more dirt and rust from behind the piston rings..

you might want to block the fuel pump output line..   or the suction line from the tank...     use a remote starter switch..   make sure you don't short out any of the power wires disconnected from the alternator..

Okiedokie

They are World Products S/R heads. OEM replacements with screw in studs. They have the correct bolt pattern for my tuned port manifold. Yes I did the wd40 deal using a remote switch. Thanks again for your input. Joe

wayne petty

why not drop a call to world products....

see what they say...

Okiedokie

Oh I did that, 1 year warranty, PERIOD. They couldn't even tell me the CC size on them. It is my fault for buying the motor so long before I really needed it. Well, at the time it did not seem possible I would still not be on the road with it. LOL. I really didn't expect any help from them other than CC size. Joe