Tips, Tricks and Problem Solvers

Started by 39deluxe, April 13, 2010, 03:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

39deluxe

I was working on the truck today (yes, I know that's a shocker) and thought I'd share a few of the small things I did to solve a problem or two. We all come up with little things that may be a great help to others even if we don't think they are any big deal. Feel free to add your own.

I had a straight heater hose fitting in the water pump that was pointing right at my fuel filter. The hose would have bent enough but I was worried about kinking it once it got hot. Here is a 3/4 inch 30 degree fitting that was original to a Corvette and probably other GM cars as well. I got it repro from one of the Corvette parts houses. It kicks the hose out around the filter just where I need it.

Tom

39deluxe

These vacuum fittings were used on GM cars in many configurations and are available from the repro houses like Paragon Reproductions. This one has a bigger nipple for the power brake vacuum hose and two smaller ones on the opposite side right where I need them. One is hooked to the modulator line for the TH400 trans and the other will be for the cruise control.

39deluxe

I may have posted this one before. I searched all the options when deciding what to do for a kick down switch for the turbo 400. I didn't find any of the commercially available brackets that I liked or would fit my application. I didn't want a button on the floor like some I'd seen. The best switch I found was the B&M kit intended for a stock bracket that I didn't have.

Holding the switch where it needed to be there were a couple of unused mounting holes on the intake that could be used with a proper bracket. I made a pattern out of poster board and transferred it to a piece of flat steel. With a little bending and drilling I had a strong mount that held the switch in the perfect place.

39deluxe

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

Great stuff--I need one of those vacuum fittings for wifes coupe.

39deluxe

Here's a list of them on the Paragon site. You should be able to find something that will fit the bill.

Tom

http://www.corvette-paragon.com/search.aspx?Year=0&SearchTerm=vacuum+fitting

UGLY OLDS

Home made parts  :!:   Now we're talkin'  :D   Nice bracket Tom ...VERY well done  .. );b(

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

39deluxe

These aren't home made but they are home remade into something usable. Corvettes starting in 1981 had stainless tubing exhaust manifolds up through 1996. In '97 they switched to the LS style engine. You can find these in 2" or 2.5" outlets. I scored these on Ebay for $35.

I removed the AIR tubes and heat shields. Then I media blasted them and did some clean up grinding of the sloppy factory welds. I then had a welding shop weld up  the AIR holes and a crack in one weld at the junction of the tubes since I have never tried to weld stainless before. The studs were in good condition so that saved some work. I coated them with Eastwood Stainless Exhaust Coating and they ended up making a nice pair of shorty headers. Not bad for a little money and some good old elbow grease.

Tom

39deluxe

I installed them using ARP stainless header studs. The threads are fine and use a 12 point nut. I expect them to stay tight. The gaskets I used were the OEM type from NAPA which sell for a fraction of the price from GM. These are similar to the ones that used to come in every Chevy gasket set. Our '81 Corvette was bought new by my wife and these have never come loose or leaked. I replaced the AIR check valves several years ago and used the NAPA gaskets when I put it back together. No problems with leaks or bolts at all.