back home again

Started by enjenjo, April 07, 2010, 11:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Got home from my vacation yesterday, a week in Vegas, and a week in San Diego. It's good to be home.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

i thought you were retired where every day is vacation? 8)

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

wayne petty

did you get shaken during the big shake up????

it was moving my apartment 5 or 6 inches here in hollywood..

the northridge earthquake was much closer.. think of a wash board road at 70 MPH... then sliding into a layer of mud.. as it started sliding sideways..

i just noticed that there are 2 named faults within 4 blocks of my place in either direction..

enjenjo

Quote from: "wayne petty"did you get shaken during the big shake up????

the northridge earthquake was much closer.. think of a wash board road at 70 MPH... then sliding into a layer of mud.. as it started sliding sideways..

i just noticed that there are 2 named faults within 4 blocks of my place in either direction..

Actually we were in San Bernadino when the shaking started, never noticed a thing.

Charlie Chops 1940

So, it's YOUR "fault" then? I lived in Oxnard in the 60's and remember the first time I felt a small one...I was ready to dive under my desk.

Charlie

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"So, it's YOUR "fault" then? I lived in Oxnard in the 60's and remember the first time I felt a small one...I was ready to dive under my desk.

Charlie

I lived in Japan in the 60s, I know what a real earthquake is.

48ford

Frank,
You don't go on vacation now.
Now you just take another trip.
Vacations are for people that still have jobs.  :)
Russ

wayne petty

funny thing about the northridge earthquake..

living in los angeles..  there are lots of people from other countries..

since the power was out.. and the only light was from a near by shopping mall that had a stand by generator... all the people living nearby were in my long driveway.. most had been through major earthquakes in their home country...  and this scared the heck out of them...

i could not find my portable radio.. i wanted to call KFWB radio..

my tiny house was stuffed with furniture, tools , shop equipment..

i kept telling people as many needed to use my bathroom.. that i want to call KFWB.. and tell them about what i felt here..

i went on to say.. that it woke me up.. was bouncing like a wash board road.. then it slowed down and started sliding sideways.... when that stopped. i reached for the lights... there was no power.. so i grabbed my flash light.. looked around..   everything was a mess.. all over the floor............    but.. wait a second.. did we have an earthquake yesterday..???? i remember waking yesterday morning and every thing was messy then...    oooh!!!!!  i sorry.. my house is a mess .. its always like this..  nothing wrong.. sorry to bother you..   people were laughing so hard they were rolling in the driveway..    i told about 50 people that morning..   my cousin told me that jay leno did it on the tonight show a few days later.. almost word for word...

i actually had jumped up during the quake.. and rode it out hanging on to the uncapped acetylene tank.. it was really rocking around with me hanging on.. i had brought them home from work for something and  not capped the the acetylene when i was done welding..

in my opinion.. the big one is probably coming soon...

i was reading first hand accounts of the 1857 quake.. one reported that big trees close to the fault break were snapped off above the ground..

water in the colorado river ran backwards.. leaving the riverboats sitting on the bottom.. then surging back...

the northridge quake threw my sister and her husband still in bed into the air.. the bed dropped out from under them...   as they started to fall.. it came up and tossed them in the air again..  they lived a LOT closer to the center... their house was NOT damaged.. not one crack.. every other one in their tract needed major repairs...  her husband had gone to the house site after the framers.. and installed box after box of simpson strong ties on every joint he could get to...

PeterR

Quote from: "wayne petty"the northridge quake threw my sister and her husband still in bed into the air  

...and he whispered in her ear "did the earth move for you?"

wayne petty

i actually ask her...

she laughed..

i told her to ask her husband why he did not ask her that..

that got more giggles from her...