Mechanical Failures

Started by Land Yacht, April 03, 2010, 03:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Land Yacht

I don't have any of my own. Feel free to add more.

http://tharf.com/albums/random/009_1_001.jpg

http://tharf.com/albums/random/010_G.jpg

This was posted at somethingawful.com. Radiator with a sealed non-venting cap? I don't think you could build enough pressure to do this kind of damage. I don't know if anyone died in it.
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

tomslik

seems like i've seen that pic before, caused by a leak in the evaporator.
they say that's what happens when you use a flammable substitute for freon...

no radiator could cause that....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

chimp koose

Ive seen a similar picture from a truck that stored a leaking acetylene cyl in the cab overnight.

PeterR

Quote from: "chimp koose"Ive seen a similar picture from a truck that stored a leaking acetylene cyl in the cab overnight.

This is it.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSbohasKM_Q

Report from the newspaper later the same day.

Two apprentices today revealed details of their lucky escape when the plumber's van exploded in the driveway of a home in suburban Melbourne.

Apprentices Luke Stokell, 23, and Luke Clark, 17, were opening the van with a remote device when it blew up.

Mr Stokell, of Patterson Lakes, said he ducked down as the van turned into a fireball about 6am.

"I was in heaps of shock. I just ducked down. I just sort of saw the fire and got out of there," he said.

Mr Stokell said he usually unlocked the van with a key, but this morning had opened it with a remote central locking device.

UGLY OLDS

We had to repair a Ford Econline that had that issue ..  :?    Driver was a refrigeration repair guy for a restaurant chain & had charged his R-12 system with his own freon supply found in the back of the truck.. ( It was from "South of the Border") ... Flamed ( literally) the dashboard when the evaporator failed .... :shock:

As I remember, we had arranged to evac & chrge it 3 days before.....He didn't have time ..... :roll:

Bob....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Harry

Propane will work as a refrigerant.
But I don't think I would do it.

348tripower

To me it is awful disturbing that refrigerants are allowed to be sold with a propellant in them to begin with. :shock:
Don Colliau

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "348tripower"To me it is awful disturbing that refrigerants are allowed to be sold with a propellant in them to begin with. :shock:

In our case, IIRC, our incident happened just as the price of R-12 spiked after manufacturing stopped in the USA... :?

Lots of folks were bringing up tanks of "R-12" from Mexico.....Nobody ever really knew what they were getting ........It's surprising we never saw more problems ...   :roll:

We heard of funny stuff too.....A truck in New York City  that would cruise long term parking garages ...Get under hoods & vacume A/C systems dry...   :shock:

Bob......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Carnut

Does look like a propane explosion, either in the A/C system or a propane fuel system leak.