Out of round piston??

Started by butch27, March 16, 2010, 09:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch27

The piston seems to be a press fit on the pin. We used to have keepers . Darn I hate getting old and forgetting. How do I get the   piston off of the pin?

enjenjo

It has to be pressed off. That is why I suggested a machine shop. If you have the right fixtures, it is not a big deal. Without fixtures it can be a really big deal. One of the ways new rods get bent is installing pistons without good fixtures.

One other possibility, if the rod is installed on the piston backward, it can cause the piston to cock to one side when installed. So check that the rod is installed in the piston correctly
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

butch27

Thanks Frank: I'm looking for the least expensive fix.

butch27

O.K. All it was is that the rings were lined up incorrectly .  NOW this cheap ring compressor I bought at H.F. wont even keep the first of the oil ring go in the bore . I squared it up tightened it and started tapping the piston in and when it got to the first ring the ring came out from the compressor. What's a a better way.? In the old days this worked fine.LOL

enjenjo

I have a high dollar compressor that I have used for 30 years. But in the old days I made do with a piece of stovepipe and a hose clamp.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.