wiring problem

Started by DRD57, March 11, 2010, 10:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

I have a 389 Pontiac that I've put some temporary wiring on to break in the engine.

The start circuit is a wire from the battery + to a pressure switch and a wire from the pressure switch to the outer post on the starter solenoid.

The run circuit is a wire from the battery + to a toggle switch, a wire from the toggle switch to the coil +, a wire from the coil + to the red wire on the Pertronix distributor, a black wire from the Pertronix distributor to the coil - , a wire from the coil - to ground.

The GM one wire alternator wire goes to the primary post on the starter.

The primary+ wire on the battery goes to the primary post on the starter.

The negative battery post goes to the block.

Here's the problem: when the pressure switch is pressed the strter engages and turns the engine but, it won't stop turning when you release the pressure switch.

Is there something wrong with my wiring or is the solenoid defective?

Thanks,

Don

enjenjo

Assuming a left hand starter, if  this would be correct, the outer terminal is the S terminal. This would be the correct terminal. I see nothing else wrong with your wiring.

You might try shimming the starter, I have had the starter too tight on a Pontiac, to the point that the drive holds the starter engaged under load, and it will keep cranking with no power applied to the solenoid.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

i wonder ... if the push button.. is a momentary..      or a click on .. click off...

can you test that.?????

battery  + to top post on starter solenoid...

battery -  to block ground...

remote starter switch to the 3 o clock position on the starter solenoid...

on off switch to the + side of the ignition...

you really don't need an alternator hooked up if you are not going to run lights..  the battery alone can handle the ignition load for 20 to 30 minutes  unless you are going to run electric cooling fans..

i fired up the sleeping bosses motor on an engine  stand.. with short headers on it..    with the open exhaust aiming right at the car he was sleeping in..   the car door was open where he was sleeping..  so he got the full blast of sound ... he thought the world was coming to an end..

nope.. just me staring his motor.. after a crank change...

DRD57

I tried shimming the starter. I put a shim in, that didn't work so, I added another one, that didn't work so, I added another, and another, and another, and... after a while I was worried about the starter dragging on the ground.

I tried another starter and it worked fine with no shims.

Then I went through three distributors before I got one that worked.

Finally fired and it runs great. Just a few small fuel leaks on the tri-power fuel lines to fix before breaking in the cam.