help with a 62 bird

Started by chimp koose, March 11, 2010, 09:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

I have a friend who wants to upgrade his 62 thunderbird to disc brakes up front. Is there a spindle assembly that would bolt up with no major modification?The car needs ball joints so this would be a good time to do the upgrade. Any thoughts?

sirstude

I have been doing some looking, mostly curious, but it appears the Torino spindles seem to be a bolt on for most of the early Fords.  The issue I have read about is usually the tie rod taper.  I think it also drops the car a couple of inches.  This swap also requires 15" wheels.  The Grenada spindle seems to work also, but the lower ball joint taper is too small and needs to be reamed with a tie rod reamer.   I could be all wet on this, but that is what my research seems to tell me.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

chimp koose

sirstude, thanks and where have you been looking. I havent looked anywhere I was just hoping someone would know of a viable swap off hand. The 62 bird seems to have a bit different suspension than the rest as front end parts do not seem to interchange with other model years.If I had to ream a different taper into a spindle that would not be a big issue .I am hoping to find a relatively painless swap that someone might know of,not wanting to reinvent the wheel if a good solution already exists.

enjenjo

For all practical purposes, the 62 Bird is a Lincoln underneath. So the later Lincoln , late 60s, disc brake setups bolt in. Also, the 66 Bird was available with discs, and that fits too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

Thanks guys! I will tell my friend about the choices. The T bird needs a new master cyl. anyhow so this would be the right time to do the swap.