Carburetion on a 5.0 H.O Ford?

Started by 32 Chevy, July 22, 2004, 01:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

32 Chevy

A friend has two derelict cars, both with 5.0 H.O. motors in them. One is an 85 Ford LTD 'police' that has the throttle body injection and the other car is an 88 LIncoln MK 7. From my research that Lincoln is very difficult to adapt to another car because the fuel injection wiring is exclusive to that car.

So...I want to use either motor in my 56 Ford Ranchwagon to replace the motor now in the car which is a standard hydraulic lifter 5.0 with 4 bbl carb. So, I want to know if I can just discard the fuel injection setup and install my edelbrock intake and carburetor onto the H.O. motor and have it run. Any other complications that will come up?

And of these two motors, is one better than the other for this setup? I can get either one for $450 complete with AOD trans which will make an easy swap.

Thanks,

Dave R

enjenjo

I haven't done this with a ford, but I did it with a Chevy. In my case, it worked great, the engine is really strong all the way though the RPM range. The only problem I had was too much ignition advance cruising in OD, causing a bit of spark knock. So I hooked a vacuum switch into the vacuum line to the advance, controlling it from the convertor lockup, so it shuts the advance off in OD. That cured it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "32 Chevy"A friend has two derelict cars, both with 5.0 H.O. motors in them. One is an 85 Ford LTD 'police' that has the throttle body injection and the other car is an 88 LIncoln MK 7. From my research that Lincoln is very difficult to adapt to another car because the fuel injection wiring is exclusive to that car.

So...I want to use either motor in my 56 Ford Ranchwagon to replace the motor now in the car which is a standard hydraulic lifter 5.0 with 4 bbl carb. So, I want to know if I can just discard the fuel injection setup and install my edelbrock intake and carburetor onto the H.O. motor and have it run. Any other complications that will come up?

And of these two motors, is one better than the other for this setup? I can get either one for $450 complete with AOD trans which will make an easy swap.

Thanks,

Dave R
Why don't you go with the EFI?  Here's some sources; you could also ask there about the carb conversion.
http://classicbroncos.com/webmap/Engine/Fuel_Injection/
http://www.corral.net/main.html

Probably need to change to your conventional distributor (make sure to get the right gear to suit the steel roller camshaft.

Anonymous

Putting a 4v intake on the motor will get you there...but you'll need an older factory electronic or points style distributor...or an aftermarket one with the roller cam gear (as mentioned).

Additionally, there will be no provision for a mechanical fuel pump on the EFI engine. Your best bet would be to run a quality Carter electric pump,  and possibly a regulator.

EFI Ford small blocks run okay...but sure look dumpy...you can tune a carbureted mill to run just as well, and it'll look alot nicer...in my humble opinion!

32 Chevy

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"
Quote from: "32 Chevy"A friend has two derelict cars, both with 5.0 H.O. motors in them. One is an 85 Ford LTD 'police' that has the throttle body injection and the other car is an 88 LIncoln MK 7. From my research that Lincoln is very difficult to adapt to another car because the fuel injection wiring is exclusive to that car.

Thanks,

Dave R
Why don't you go with the EFI?  Here's some sources; you could also ask there about the carb conversion.
http://classicbroncos.com/webmap/Engine/Fuel_Injection/
http://www.corral.net/main.html
The reason I dont want to use either of these EFI systems is twofold; first, the 86 EFI throttle body is toast and the 88 linclon has many connections and wires that are not compatible with available harness kits. And I want to do the swap in a weekend without having to modify the fuel lines, etc. And I have a nice manifold and new carb that will bolt right on. In the future I might convert to a mass air flow from a 89-92 mustang H.O. but that will be a while.

Probably need to change to your conventional distributor (make sure to get the right gear to suit the steel roller camshaft.

31suv

I would keep it simple as posible,I went with a 86 302,edlebrock carb and crosswind intake, convrted to a HEI syestm,using a dura spark type distributor,  works great, but you are still gonna have to deal with the AOD Some how. I went with a c4 trans.Ford,s are not swap friendy but you can deal with um with a little research.
East Texas,the right side of Texas

Anonymous

The AOD trans is actually a pretty good one. However, they use a TV (throttle valve) cable that MUST be hooked up to the carb and adjusted properly to operate. No biggie...the TV cable just controls line pressure and dictates shift points...like a vacuum modulator to some extent.

These days, AOD trannys are cheap and easy to find, and make good street/strip choices...offering the benefits of a lower first gear and the overdrive.

The C4 is also a decnet choice, if properly prepped...and easy to hook up and go!

They do make a small block C6...but it's overkill...and soaks up too much power to validate running it behind a stock 302. The AOD or C4 are your best bets for an auto trans...and then there's always the T5 manual trannies!!

Run FAR away from an FMX automatic if you find one!  :D  :shock:  :P

32 Chevy

Quote from: "Sail Rabbit"The AOD trans is actually a pretty good one. However, they use a TV (throttle valve) cable that MUST be hooked up to the carb and adjusted properly to operate. No biggie...the TV cable just controls line pressure and dictates shift points...like a vacuum modulator to some extent.

These days, AOD trannys are cheap and easy to find, and make good street/strip choices...offering the benefits of a lower first gear and the overdrive.

The C4 is also a decnet choice, if properly prepped...and easy to hook up and go!

They do make a small block C6...but it's overkill...and soaks up too much power to validate running it behind a stock 302. The AOD or C4 are your best bets for an auto trans...and then there's always the T5 manual trannies!!

Run FAR away from an FMX automatic if you find one!  :D  :shock:  :P

I already have an AOD behind the stock 302. It was an easy bolt in swap and I used a Lokar cable designed for a carburetor to the throttle pressure lever. No problemo...

So, I'm just asking if anyone knows if either of the specified H.O. motors, the '86 or '88 would be preferable to use with a carburetor.

Thanxs,

Dave

Anonymous

Well, in 1986, Mustang GTs with manual transmissions still used the Holley 4v carburetor (automatics had EFI), so the 86 engine was still available with a carb, if that helps you out at all. By 87, all 302s ran EFI.

Either engine (the 86 or 88) will accept a carburetor and appropriate support parts, so just use the better one of the two...either way, you'll need a 4v intake manifold, a carb, air cleaner, and probably a distributor. Run an electric fuel pump with 5-7psi for simplicity's sake and you'll be Disco!

rovic

I'm using '85 Mercury 5.0 in a '53 F100.Pull the timing cover off,mine had a fuel pump blockoff plate bolted on but no opening.Look on the inside of the cover and you can tell where the opening should be,drillout as much as possible then finish up with a diegrinder .Go get a fuelpump eccentric off any 289/302 to bolt on the camshaft.,some are one piece and some are two piece just use a cam gear for the same model.All smallblock Fords bolt up the same just different fittings or the angle of the fittings,also if you have clearance problems most vans (E100) used a fuel pump that shaped like it was upsidedown.You can use the duraspark module with the blue color on it or use the replacement HEI didtributor.