Chevy brakes on a Ford 9"

Started by enjenjo, February 16, 2010, 08:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Here are some pictures I took. The only modification to the backing plate is opening the center hole up enough to fit over the Ford wheel bearing. This is only necessary when using a big bearing housing end. If you have backing plates from a type O housing, the center hole is already big enough.

The housing ends are cut down to fit in the recess in the backing plate, the bolt holes welded up, and new ones drilled in the GM pattern.  With a big bearing end, a small releif is needed at each bolt hole to clear the bolt head, using standard Ford bolts. With small housing ends, you can redrill the backing plate to the ford pattern, there is still some trimming of the housing flange to clear the backing plate needed.

When I have the axles made, I will have the flange configured for the GM drum. I will also need new bearing retainer plates with GM bolt pattern, they are available from Moser. You can also use type O bearing retainers by opening the center hole for clearance.

Outside of a drill press and a grinder, only common hand tools are needed.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Pretty slick.  "Do these parts interchange?"  "Sure, all you have to do is..."
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

38HAULR

Neat swap, with a query.
What advantage is gained with the conversion,that would be superior to doing a disc brake conversion?
Frank.

enjenjo

Quote from: "38HAULR"Neat swap, with a query.
What advantage is gained with the conversion,that would be superior to doing a disc brake conversion?
Frank.

None what so ever, outside of being slightly lighter. As was mentioned in another post, I did this at the owners request, the customer is right. I have done a couple others in the past, in those cases the owner declined to re-engineer the stock brakes, and this allowed a diff change without brake changes. That said, the same housing end modification would allow the use of  Toronado/Seville/ Riviera rear disc brakes as a bolt on. Also third gen F body discs will now fit.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.