Zip's Water Pump Housing

Started by 2buck, July 10, 2004, 03:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2buck

A friend is considering a Zip's Water Pump Housing for his Chevy powered Model A. He is having overheating problems in city traffic. Anyone had/have experience with this 'raised' water pump arrangement? This unit uses a 6 cylinder Chevy water pump. Will the 6 cylinder pump supply enough flow for a v8?
As an alternative,- is the sheet metal disc added to the impeller of a Chevy V8 water pump effective for better cooling?

Thanks
Bucky :roll:

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "2buck"A friend is considering a Zip's Water Pump Housing for his Chevy powered Model A. He is having overheating problems in city traffic. Anyone had/have experience with this 'raised' water pump arrangement? This unit uses a 6 cylinder Chevy water pump. Will the 6 cylinder pump supply enough flow for a v8?
As an alternative,- is the sheet metal disc added to the impeller of a Chevy V8 water pump effective for better cooling?
----------------------------------
One of my friends bought a '32 with a mild 4.3 V6, and one of Zoop's "high rise" pump housings was already installed.   .....He experienced overheating at traffic lights, but it would be fine on the road until he had to stop for another light. Then the temp would spike again.  .....Yet, he could start the engine cold and let it idle for an hour, and it would never overheat.  ....The problem would only occur after he drove 15-20 minutes.  

He checked everything we could think of, and he changed the pump, radiator cap, thermostat, and even installed the metal disc on the pump impeller. ...The problem persisted!

In desperation, he removed the Zip's housing w/6 cyl pump, and installed a SBC Stewart pump, and a new electric (puller) fan.  .....All's well, and he's happy now!

His Zip's set-up did not have a pump bypass installed.  .....From what I have been able to learn after he made the change, the Zip's housing does not have an internal pump bypass passage, so it requires a hose be run from a cylinder head water jacket to the suction side of the pump. ........Supposedly this info is in the Zip's instruction sheet, but my friend never had one.  .....I was also told that failure to have the bypass hose will cause overheating at idle or low speed.

Other people have used a Zip's set-up with no problems.  ....Maybe they were installed properly?

--------------------------------
Has your friend verified that his timing is correct?  .....Is he running vacuum advance, and is it hooked to MANIFOLD vacuum, and NOT Ported vacuum?  

Is he using an electric fan? ....Pusher or puller?

Mechanical fan?  ....Full size or cut down?

Fan shroud?

Coolant recovery tank?

Hood top and sides? ....Louvers?

There are lots of contributing factors to consider.  .....The Zip's set-up will not compensate for many of these contributing factors, but it will relocate a mechanical fan.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"One of my friends bought a '32 with a mild 4.3 V6, and one of Zoop's "high rise" pump housings was already installed.

Oops!..........That should be "Zip's," not "Zoop's."   :oops:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!