Spring Bushings

Started by OldSub, February 12, 2010, 03:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSub

I'm working on turning a '54 GMC 1-ton into a trailer puller to drag my tandem axle car trailer all over creation.  I'm powering it with a 500 Cadillac with a TH 400 and a GM 14-bolt rear.

I'm currently rebuilding the rear springs.  I ordered pins and bushings when I caught them on sale a year ago, and just now opened the packages and realized I didn't get quite what I needed.

After some searching this morning, looking at the GMC Master Parts book, the similar Chevy book, Napa online, O'Rielly's online, LMC Truck and a number of others I've concluded none of them carries quite what I need.

There are six pins, three on each side.  The pins are 7/8ths diameter by 4-5/16ths long and I ended up with more than enough of those.

The spring eyes are 1-1/8 diameter so I need four bushings to fit the pins in those.  I have two and need two more.  I have found two sources of those at about $10 each.

The shackles are where I run into trouble.  They use the same pins, but the bushings are different.  The bushing needs to have a 1 inch OD instead of the 1-1/8th and I can't find them at any of my usual places.  Looking at the old parts books I've discovered that GM sold the inverted-Y shackles with bushings instead of offering just a bushing.

So I'm a little concerned that GM felt the cast iron shackle should be replaced rather than just replacing the bushing.

I've found a number of places that offer bronze bushings online.  None of them list prices, but they do list sizes and I can find what I want.  I don't know if there are material specifications I should look for, and I don't know what tolerances are appropriate.  Some of the vendors list a number of possible choices each one or two thousandths different than the pin size.  

Can anyone offer some wisdom here?  If some of the bushings I removed hadn't been badly worn I'd be regretting taking them out at this point...

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

UGLY OLDS

Look at "P-Model" Ford spring parts from the mid-70's ...Brass bushings avail by the piece....I changed 100's of them ...Also look at a BIG spring parts company ...( Not a "parts house" but some one that makes up springs for trucks) ..They all stock bushings seperate ...

Bob........... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

McMaster Carr has the bushings.

Part Number:  6381K16  $8.70 Each
Material
Bronze

Bronze Type
Alloy 932 (SAE 660) Bronze

Type
Sleeve Bearings

Certificate of Conformity
Without Certificate

For Shaft Diameter (Inside Diameter)
7/8"

Inside Diameter Tolerance
±.001"

Outside Diameter
1"

Outside Diameter Tolerance
+.002" to +.003"

Length
3"

Length Tolerance
±.005"

Load (P Max)

Speed (V Max)

Load at Speed (PV Max)

Temperature Range
-350° to +450° F

Specifications Met
Not Rated

Now to installing them.

The holes in those old shackles are seldom round. So after installing the bushings with a bushing driver, Bar stock bigger than the bushing OD, turned down on one end a bit smaller than the ID of the bushing, you will find the bushing is no longer round, and the hole through the bushing is now too small. So get an adjustable reamer, and ream the bushing to size, and put it together.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

Here's another, steel backed bronze, you will need two bushings per pin.

Part Number:  60695K6  $5.14 Each
Material
Bronze

Bronze Type
Steel-Backed PTFE-Coated Bronze

Type
Sleeve Bearings

For Shaft Diameter (Inside Diameter)
7/8"

Inside Diameter Tolerance
-.0007" to +.0025"

Outside Diameter
1"

Outside Diameter Tolerance
-.0003" to +.0005"

Length
1"

Length Tolerance
±.010"

Load (P Max)

Speed (V Max)

Load at Speed (PV Max)

Temperature Range
-328° to +536° F

Specifications Met
Not Rated

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"Now to installing them.

The holes in those old shackles are seldom round. So after installing the bushings with a bushing driver, Bar stock bigger than the bushing OD, turned down on one end a bit smaller than the ID of the bushing, you will find the bushing is no longer round, and the hole through the bushing is now too small. So get an adjustable reamer, and ream the bushing to size, and put it together.

I don't know why I didn't start with McMaster Carr.  They seem always to have everything.  I ended up ordering from one of the bronze bushing outfits because they were a little cheaper.

My home made removal tool is exactly what you describe as a bushing driver.  I probably spent as much time at the lathe as I did at the vice pushing bushings out.

Where do you get an adjustable reamer.  I'm not having much luck with my searches...

Thanks!

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

GPster

Quote from: "OldSub"Where do you get an adjustable reamer.  I'm not having much luck with my searches... Thanks!
This would just be a guess but years ago I saw an old set that had been used to align/ream electriic motor bushings. Maybe you could borrow one from an electric motor rebuilder. GPster

enjenjo

This should do it.  

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=334-1113&PMPXNO=946261&PARTPG=INLMK3

QuoteWhere do you get an adjustable reamer. I'm not having much luck with my searches...