A question about the Ford FMX and COM trans

Started by junkyardjeff, February 02, 2010, 08:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

See if I can post the picture of Jeff's 55. Neat car. If I can locate my pictures I will post the only color photos of it. Joe

junkyardjeff

My dad bought it new and I am kind of regretting not keeping the original drivetrain so thays why its getting the 292,it will get painted when I get all the mechanicals to where I want it.  Its going to be raised back up some as it kind of rides rough and the front tires rub and the wheels might come off and put hubcaps back on with steel rims.

wayne petty

junkyardjeff

I was just told by someone on another forum that he knew somone with a 70 torino with a FMX that would push start but I have been told by others that you cant do that with that trans so I need to do more reasearch.

Okiedokie

Here's mine. Color shots are the result of having my girl sitting next to me and me reaching across for something in the glovebox. Got distracted, if you know what I mean? Eventually sold it to buy my first 40 Ford. Man I liked that 55, power seats even. Just had to have a 40. Hope these work. Joe

Okiedokie

Crosley.In.AZ

most cast iron cruise O stuff I have built have a rear pump...  this is easy to tell if the pan is off.  

There will be a aluminum pick up tube  plugged into the filter at the rear between the filter and case of the trans.  the filter has 2 pick up hole/ tubes  into it  that feed the front pump  and rear pump.

I built a FMX a few weeks back , no rear pump on it.  I do not remember the   year of it
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Okiedokie

Okiedokie

junkyardjeff

I would of had 2 55 convertibles if dad would of gotten back to this junkyard that had one that was little nicer then his,they crushed it the weekend before we got back there.

junkyardjeff

Got my trans today and its a 67 FMX or like its called in the shop manual as a FM-MX and looking in the 67 shop manual it has a rear pump amd might be able to be push started so now I got other parts to look for and make room in the garage for the 292.

DaBatCave

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"Got my trans today and its a 67 FMX or like its called in the shop manual as a FM-MX and looking in the 67 shop manual it has a rear pump amd might be able to be push started so now I got othe
parts to look for and make room in the garage for the 292.

DAMMNN NEVER knew you could push start a FMX That would of saved my ****. back in the day. Had 1 behind 351C
HELL of STRONG tranny  it hit HARDWE RAN THE * OF IT

we took acid to stay up and laugh all night
BUT THAT WAS 1976

38HAULR

What speed are we talking about for push starting?.
I have a vague inkling of around 20-25 MPH.
Frank.

enjenjo

When I was a kid, I remember the guy down the street pushing his 59 Olds trying to get it started. The block we lived on was a mile square, out in the country. He must have pushed it 50 miles, before he was told that the 59 model did not have a rear pump, and you could push it forever , but it still wouldn't start. :lol:

Push starting an automatic is over rated, one of the reasons they did away with the rear pump. Having to push it 20 to 25 MPH, you are taking a big risk of damage to one or another of the vehicles involved. Even towing one to start it is iffy.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.