Chevy motor ID

Started by Okiedokie, January 31, 2010, 04:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

I have a 1990 350 TPI motor out of an IROC. The casting number on top of bell housing is 14088548, the only marking at the rear of the block behind the drivers side head is GM  5.7L   G. Everything I can find says all of these motors were roller cammed motors. This one is not. Can anyone make sense of this? I am using the TPI off of this motor on a Jon Barret motor and was concerned about the distributor gear being ok for a non roller motor. Just out of curosity I am wondering why the original motor is not a roller motor. Joe

UGLY OLDS

What is the number sequence stamped into the flat area of the block in front of the passenger side cylinder head ??

Bob.............. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Okiedokie

Ben playing with Ford motors too long I guess. Forgot about this location on Chevys. My crate motor is blank on that pad. Anyway, V0502UPB.
I searched this and it looks like UPB indicates 83 motor. That correct? Explains the lack of a roller cam I guess. Thanks Bob.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Okiedokie"Ben playing with Ford motors too long I guess. Forgot about this location on Chevys. My crate motor is blank on that pad. Anyway, V0502UPB.
I searched this and it looks like UPB indicates 83 motor. That correct? Explains the lack of a roller cam I guess. Thanks Bob.

Did some checkin' at my end::

Suffix code UPB comes back as one of these two possibilities:

86 Chevy truck 350 160HP LT9 4 barrel C20 /C30
90 Chevy truck 350 210HP LO5 TBI all models incl van

90 truck engine is still flat tappet engine ....

Bob........ :wink:

Okiedokie

Thanks again Bob. Most likely 90 pu. That is what the motor came out of although it was thought to be a complete IROC motor not just the TPI set up. Real crazy story on how I came to buy it. I stopped by a friends shop one day and he had this 90 Chevy pu in his shop with a throttle body motor in the bed. The hood was up and I saw the TPI, I asked what was the deal? He related that an older guy had brought the truck in to swap the TB motor in and the TPI motor out. Seems his son had paid someone to swap in the TPI [receipts in the truck for like $2500] while he was out of the country. They had never been able to get the TPI running good and he wanted the original set up back in his truck. My friend told him that he thought fuel pressure was the problem and he could most likely make it work, but the old guy was having nothing to do with it. I asked my friend what was to happen with the TPI motor. He said he would see what the old guy had in mind to do with it. A few weeks later he calls and says the guy had picked up the truck [running fine, still had the TBI pump in the tank it turned out] and said if he could get $300 for it, sell it. So, everybody was happy, the old man had his running truck, the shop was paid the due, and I got a great deal on the TPI motor.  Joe

UGLY OLDS

What you described is exactly whats going in my Model A ..An '89 TBI truck engine with a tuned port intake ... 8)     I am not interested in gobs of screaming horsepower...     :roll:    I am building the engine to run on a stock '90 Firebird PROM.... :?  Think of it as "reverse engineering" ..... :lol:  :lol:

Bob....... :wink: