Door latches - Morris Minor

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 29, 2010, 10:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Are the bear claw latches still "the latch assembly"  to use on  cars?

The OE  design on a 1962 Morris is not top shelf  in strength ,  I want something a bit stronger.

My Morrris only has 1 door with a latch assembly and it  is well worn , so I need to replace  latches in both doors.

From what I have seen of the Bear claw assembly design ,  the Morris exterior door handle may not be adaptable  to operate the Bear claw assembly.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

Crosley, I used mini-bearclaw latches from rocky hinge co. on my Anglia . The guy was great to deal with . I had to modify my old latch to activate the new one. That way the inner and outside door handles worked the new one without a bunch of reworking.I had to weld a different tab on the bearclaw latch but no big deal.

kb426

From walking around the vendors displays, I'm most impressed with Rocky products. I did have someone tell me that Geo metro latches are good because they are small. I haven't done any research to see if that's a great idea or not.
TEAM SMART

Glen

FWIW.... I run this one in my Model A.  
It has a very positive locking feel ot it when it latches.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Slim-Line-Bear-Jaw-Door-Latch,2268.html

Crosley.In.AZ

thanks for the replies.

Glen,  if the latches function well for your car at speed..  they should be good for my Morris
Tony

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"thanks for the replies.Glen,  if the latches function well for your car at speed..  they should be good for my Morris
To make it faster? GPster

Glen

Quote from: "Crosley"thanks for the replies.

Glen,  if the latches function well for your car at speed..  they should be good for my Morris

Thats kind of how I feel, I twist that car pretty hard.  I felt good when I latched them the first time and they snapped shut solid.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "Crosley"thanks for the replies.Glen,  if the latches function well for your car at speed..  they should be good for my Morris
To make it faster? GPster

well  if I get the Morris running hard   ........  it will be faster  than Glen's car has run.

I am not proud either... if I have to spray the engine to where i want it to  run ,I will
Tony

Glen

Quote from: "Crosley"

well  if I get the Morris running hard   ........  it will be faster  than Glen's car has run.

Ok....now you have my attention, spill the beans?

This was the last trip to Speedworld 9.96 at 132 mph.  

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"
Quote from: "Crosley"

Ok....now you have my attention, spill the beans?

This was the last trip to Speedworld 9.96 at 132 mph.  

No beans to spill  yet.  This will be my last fast  drag car  if i get it built

I had a 69 Camaro run 10.50s at 134 mph  back in the mid 1980s....  to put this Morris into the 9s should be easy  with  modern  parts and tech.

Since the Morris is a blank slate , I can build it correctly for the speed,  although it is a bit short on wheel base ... I may need to drive it a bit to keep it straight.

:shock:
Tony

purplepickup

Quote from: "Crosley"... I may need to drive it a bit to keep it straight.
:shock:
...as it should be :D  

Glen's car is a trip!  If you outrun that you'll be smiling big time on the return lane. 8)
George

Charlie Chops 1940

Drive it like ya stole it!!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!