RRT racer question

Started by enjenjo, February 21, 2010, 02:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I am mocking up the rear end housing for the RRT racer. It will make things much easier to fabricate if I offset the pinion shaft 1" to the right. And this lead me to thinking about setting the engine centerline 1" to the right too, since the car is so small. Any thoughts from the rest of you on this? Nothing is welded yet, so we can move it where we want.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

At least an inch on the motor would be good.

No need for it to be centered.

phat46

Seems like a good idea. I would think any weight moved to the right would be offset by the driver on the left. It would also help with the foot box area to make pedal location better, especially if it will be set up to be able to have a clutch pedal.

tomslik

i don't see a problem, amc has done 2" with most of their cars and wern't  2nd gen novas offset to the right a bit?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

chimp koose

No problem.Tomslik, 1st gen nova was offset engine as well.Enjenjo I am guessing that moving the pinion over will allow brackets to be mounted on the axle tube rather than the tapered part of the housing? Arent narrow cars fun to build!

enjenjo

Quote from: "chimp koose"No problem.Tomslik, 1st gen nova was offset engine as well.Enjenjo I am guessing that moving the pinion over will allow brackets to be mounted on the axle tube rather than the tapered part of the housing? Arent narrow cars fun to build!

Just exactly that. It makes life much easier. Plus on down the line it gives more room for the driver.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Just exactly that. It makes life much easier. Plus on down the line it gives more room for the driver.

Some of us may need more than just an extra inch. Of course that extra inch may keep us from driving it like a Toyota where you stand hard on the gas pedal and wonder how come you're not stopping. GPster

phat46

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Just exactly that. It makes life much easier. Plus on down the line it gives more room for the driver.

Some of us may need more than just an extra inch. Of course that extra inch may keep us from driving it like a Toyota where you stand hard on the gas pedal and wonder how come you're not stopping. GPster

If we make it wide enough for Frank to fit in the rest of us should be able to rattle around in there....(did i say that out loud?)  :lol:

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "GPster"

If we make it wide enough for Frank to fit in the rest of us should be able to rattle around in there....(did i say that out loud?)  :lol:

KMA

Leon

Is there enough room for a back seat?   :lol:

enjenjo

Quote from: "Leon"Is there enough room for a back seat?   :lol:

Yes, in the trailer. :shock:

enjenjo

Here 'tis. There is 1/4" difference in the tubes, so the pig is pretty well centered. It will get 2 1/2"on each end with the bearing housings, and 2 3/8" on each end for the axles. Overall length will be 40" The body is 48" wide at that point, so the tires will stick out, but I  planned it that way, I wanted a 60s vibe to the car.