One more exhaust exp.

Started by kb426, January 23, 2010, 03:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Those of you that read my boring posts about my 32 know that I've been unhappy with the tone of my exhaust. I started out with Patriot block huggers, 2.5" pipes and flowmaster super 40's and tail pipes all the way to the back. I bought a set of 2008 mustang gt axle backs awhile ago and put them on without tailpipes. They sounded ok, not loud but had a drone at road speed that was horrid. I made one trip and removed them. Last November I turned the 302 into a 342. That didn't make much difference because I used the same heads, cam and intake. I got tired of rusty headers so I bought a set of Patriot ceramic block huggers. Same part number as before. Several changes in the headers and a big pain to install. For some reason, they changed the tone a little. I got bored so I went out to the shed and got the gt mufflers again. Same thing. Pretty good sound but that drone. Today I removed them and cut the polished tips off. I made an adapter to put my 2.5" tubing into the end and went to work. I cut an 18" straight piece and put an old 90 degree bend that I've had for several projects. Same for both sides. Well, the drone is gone. So is the cool sound it made at wfo. It's quiet enough now that I'm moving on to something else that I'm not happy with. Those of you that have messed with flowmasters have found how sensitive they are to tailpipes. These mustang mufflers are similar. Because I have to travel hundreds of miles to a car show, I'd rather be quiet that not. Until I see something that really makes me want to try it, I'm going to quit on exhaust.
TEAM SMART

2rods

kb426

The next time I have it jacked up, I'll see if I can get pics that are good enough to show what I've done. My header pipes run in between the crossmembers, not under. My stuff is far from real good. I daily drive this.
TEAM SMART

Danimal

Are you running a cross over pipe? H or X? That will help mellow the tone as well.

kb426

No crossover. No room to allow such.
TEAM SMART

Danimal

Quote from: "kb426"No crossover. No room to allow such.

That's tight! If there is room at the back, you can try it. One reason for a drone is a long, unbroken pipe. Think of it like a jump rope. A long one will have a long "wave" in it. The longer the wave, the deeper tone. A cross over increases the tuning volume and it also breaks things up. If you can just put a small piece of bigger ID pipe in the line, it should help break the sound waves up.

Also, cabin noise can really be accentuated by this. The bigger the cabin (coupe v sedan) the bigger problem that deep tone can be. Your sedan becomes a kettle drum.