Tranny door and hanging the steering column... (more)

Started by My52Chebby, January 31, 2010, 09:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

Hi guys,

Been busy this week, I machined (rabbeted the edges about 3/16" x 1 1/8" wide) of a 3/8" aluminum plate so it would fit flush with the floor. Also did a battery access cover (now redundant because of the drop-down battery box) out of the same aluminum but only had to rabbet it about 1/16th to fit flush.

As you can see in the pic, I also formed some 18 ga. sheetmetal for the hump. It incorporates the Lokar Stealth Accelerator Pedal.

I devoted a bit of time on the lathe to finish up my LeCarra MK 10 steering wheel. It fits on a 32" Flaming River tilt column. I liked the horn button that Billet Specialties made but they didn't offer a surround piece to match the LeCarra MK 10 steering, so I made my own.

You don't see it in the picture but I machined a small rabbet on the back of the surround and a groove to accept an 'O' ring. I used the same principal used on the Billet Specialties horn button, I copied the groove dimensions and clearances and it worked beautifully.

I then shortened a 4 1/2" column drop (I had it in my stash and couldn't be bothered ordering a 2" one from the 'Bay) down to 2". That's what I figured out I needed with my dummy cardboard steering tool.

I also worked on the other end of the column. I had purchased this column support to go through the floor but I didn't like seeing 4 bolts, lock washers and nuts showing...

so I made an aluminum ring with threaded holes... Voila!

Those aren't the final bolts I'll be using, they'll be shorter so they won't protrude through the ring. From the engine compartment, you'll only see the edge of the ring.

Well that's it for this week. I hope next week is as productive...

My52Chebby

jaybee

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose