Speedweek accommodation.

Started by bucketmouth, March 01, 2010, 10:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

Quote from: "39deluxe"With 10 guys coming maybe you could just rent a big motor coach. It shouldn't be too expensive spreading out the cost 10 ways.

i was thinking the same thing as i was going thru the posts, it would be quite an adventure i would think.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

HotRodLadyCrusr

I wonder how many Aussie men I could fit on the floor of our room.....single ones get to step to the front of the line.   By the way there is four of us single gals going this year.  :wink:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Beck

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"I wonder how many Aussie men I could fit on the floor of our room.....single ones get to step to the front of the line.   By the way there is four of us single gals going this year.  :wink:

Are you really going to make them sleep on the floor? It could be like on the Navy subs, the guys could "hot rack".

Beck

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I camped at the bend the last couple years but that's not such a good option for our off-shore pals. I have given up on the room situation. It seems as though the rules of engagement keep changing. Good luck.

Last year I bought a tent/cot. Turned out to be very comfortable, versatile and dry. I'll be using it more this season although I don't think I'm gonna be able to make Bonneville this year.

Charlie
I have looked at WallyWorld at some of the small tents and other light gear. If I plan on camping I will have to pack the gear in the luggage on the plane. That will really cut down on the clothing. I know Charlie spent one night in his Trailblazer because of high wind last year. That does not sound like a good time to me. I sleep bad enough when traveling, much less in a car or confined noisy cold tent.
I see the local Ford dealer has some kind of new small utility vehicles (work type). I don't know what they are, but does anyplace rent them? They should be big enough to put a sleeping bag or two in the back. The sides won't flop like a tent. I will have to rent a car anyway. It could be the answer to my lodging if they are available.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "Beck"

Are you really going to make them sleep on the floor? It could be like on the Navy subs, the guys could "hot rack".

Floor space for unknown subjects is all that is available.  :lol:

Beck

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"I "tip" the person at the front desk each year and let it be known that I will "tip" them the following year as well.  I have learned to take care of people thru the years that do me special favors time and time again.....and I'm not just talking about money.
This seems like a good idea BUT. I have not seen the same people at the motel from year to year. Each year it is new faces at the desk. Maybe where you are staying it is a different story, but I thought we were staying at the same place.

Charlie Chops 1940

Yes, that one night semi-reclined in the TB was a bummer but the wind was really strong and I never considered needing stakes to hold down a tent cot. Us old guys survived it none the worse for wear though.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

kb426

Speedweek is not for the weak!
TEAM SMART

HotRodLadyCrusr

This seems like a good idea BUT. I have not seen the same people at the motel from year to year. Each year it is new faces at the desk. Maybe where you are staying it is a different story, but I thought we were staying at the same place.

Yes, it has been different people but that doesn't matter.  When you check in or shortly after, you build a "relationship" with and tip the manager and let that person know that you'll take care of them next year too.  They, and you, don't know whether they will be there but they are assuming they will be.  This gets you on the list or a set in stone reservation for the following year.  The following year you again tip whoever is there.  For teh first couple of years it was Barb there, then for a couple of years it was different peeps but the last two years it's been a guy.  I can't remember his name off the top of my head.

sirstude

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I camped at the bend the last couple years but that's not such a good option for our off-shore pals. I have given up on the room situation. It seems as though the rules of engagement keep changing. Good luck.

Last year I bought a tent/cot. Turned out to be very comfortable, versatile and dry. I'll be using it more this season although I don't think I'm gonna be able to make Bonneville this year.

Charlie
I have looked at WallyWorld at some of the small tents and other light gear. If I plan on camping I will have to pack the gear in the luggage on the plane. That will really cut down on the clothing. I know Charlie spent one night in his Trailblazer because of high wind last year. That does not sound like a good time to me. I sleep bad enough when traveling, much less in a car or confined noisy cold tent.
I see the local Ford dealer has some kind of new small utility vehicles (work type). I don't know what they are, but does anyplace rent them? They should be big enough to put a sleeping bag or two in the back. The sides won't flop like a tent. I will have to rent a car anyway. It could be the answer to my lodging if they are available.

There is always Uhaul, and they might not have an issue with being in the Bonneville area like some of the rental companies do.  Just make sure you lock the handle in the OPEN position, in case some of you buddies decide to have some fun with you.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Uncle Bob

I'll second the online suggestion, the direct phone desks are controlled by management guessing at how they can best hold out for a better hit later.

We stayed at the bend camping area this past year and enjoyed the company of some folks from NZ in the next spot over who had rented a motor home in the LA area.  They had no restrictions.............but then they probably weren't real specific to the rental outfit either.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Crosley.In.AZ

I was looking around for an RV   I could afford.  Dive up to B'ville,  stay at the bend in the road...   Class  C  unit or similar size.

That will not happen , I  can not swing the cash  for it  this year
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)